Thread: Not Many Knots...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Not Many Knots...

Attached Images Attached Images

Denise Ippolito and I visited Cape May in late May to try for Red Knots..... Without much success. Here's the basic story: for decades local crab harvesters decimated the horseshoe crab population catching thousand of truckloads of them to use as eel bait. Worldwide populations of Red Knot, Sanderling, and Ruddy Turnstone have crashed as the birds depended on feasting on the crab eggs to lay on sufficient fat so that they could fly to their nesting grounds above the Arctic circle, begin nesting, and survive for at least a week or two in the likely event of snow and ice.... In recent years a moratorium on harvesting crabs seems to be increasing the numbers of both crabs and birds. However, the beaches are now strictly off limits to everyone including and especially photographers. The situation sort of reminds me of 9-11. Once the horse was out of the barn, the barn is now locked up tight....

I created this image with the 800mm/1.4X/MIV combo as we sat behind the dune on the edge of the beach at Cook's Beach. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/400 sec. at f/9. Three semi-sends were removed from in front of the knot.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: Be sure to check out Denise's really cool high key semi with a row of crab eggs image here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=65249
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Yeah, I too would have liked to have seen the feet :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, lovely colors on the Red Knott and I really like the layered blue BG and yes the feet would have been nice.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, I was happy to see the few we saw. I didn't get one shot-but I'm not surprised that you did. This one looks like it's fattened up pretty well. Nice pose and I love the water colored BG. Will you post any of your horseshoe crab images?:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know he has feet, don't need to see them to appreciate this photo. Nice work, love the blue background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brilliant image Artie. Great details and excellent eye contact. Blue background is working great here.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

excelente sharpness and bg, the light is really good to, i like more if i can see the legs, you tell really good the story about this birds, all the years i see this birds on my province (Tierra del fuego), here is the southtrenmost point that this birds go.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Leandro. And yes, the knots are great travelers. A few winter in the NE US, many in FLA, and many at the southern tip of SA by you! They thought that the differences are age class or race related but neither is looking to be the case.... My friend Brian Harrington did a fine book on the species, Flight of the Red Knot (I think that that was the name...)

ps; Thanks all :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW guru.. loved the artistic setting in this frame..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. I should have mentioned some good news. At one point recently they were say that the population level (in North America, I think), was down 90% from 100,00 Red Knots to 10,000. But this year they have accounted for 50,000 so either they were missing some (likely...) or the species is making a miraculous recovery (likely true in part). Folks interested in shorebirds including identification and aging and their amazing migrations should get themselves a copy of my Shorebirds, Beautiful Beachcombers: https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/ca....aspx?catid=32 :)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, thx for all the information. Loved the low angle, BG and the placement of bird. Classic image with your touch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice one sir!
    I also want to thank you for the extra info. These birds a so handsome. Love the BG and exposure here.