Thread: Playful Siblings

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Playful Siblings

Attached Images Attached Images

These Coastal Brown Bear siblings were photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 640. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/9.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: Confession to follow.... (The image is pretty much right out of the camera.)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like he's got a cavity :). Great detail. I like the eye contact with him looking at the other and the way the lip near the canine is flattened by the contact with the other. BG's not to bad either.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

right out of the camera! excellent interaction captured, and pin sharp both of them. I love the detail as well, the fur looks soft and inviting :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing details. Excellent job.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome image & great clarity
    Just for a querry , Is this a ful frame image,
    Thanks for sharing
    Harshad

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Harshad. No crop. Right out of the camera. Removed a few bits of grass.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Arthur
    800MM seems to be awesome glass
    what a clarity with TC
    HUGE image for me

Harshad

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Art, Nice comp,great interaction,lighting and a nicely muted backround. All the qualities are there!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the action. This image is full of interest. I'd qm out that small strip of color in the upper left corner, it makes the image feel out of level to my eye (which it is not)

Alfred Forns

I like the interaction Artie Focal plane for both is close enough both are in focus !!

btw interesting using the Mk3 with a converter vs the 50D without one. No converter is one stop more light and faster AF for any sudden action, might still have to stop down a bit. Sweet really like it !!!

... good call on the strip up top Grace !!!

Todd Frost

Nice action captured here. Sharpness looks good with that combo. Looks a little bright for my taste. Looks like you had a fun and productive trip.

Todd

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super interaction, and love the open mouths of both of them. Pretty large teeth for siblings, and I like the light and colours in this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for your comments. OK, here's the (partial) confession along with a question: everyone else in the group was to my right. All four of them--regardless of focal length--created a better image than this. Why?

Todd Frost

Better light angle and head angle/eye contact from both bears. Possibly a little separation between noses, hard to tell from this angle if that was possible as they look like they are touching.
    Todd

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll play. They probably got a very symmetric image(with full body shots) and with eye contact from both bears :-).
    Last edited by Kiran Khanzode; 06-15-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Todd was on the right track and Kiran was a bit closer Folks to my right better paralleled the two subjects--I was sort of shooting up the back of the left hand bear. Linda Robbins was working tight as I was and the others were working wider but all got better images than I did (even taking into consideration the grass is always greener thingie....) They all had perfect side views.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    I like this image. The space between the bears look like a heart. Nice interaction. I agree that moving to the right would have given a symmetrical view. However, you get a better eye contact with atleast one bear from this position.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, the side view I'm sure was nice too, but did they get the bear's tongue and the look into his mouth that you did? I pretty much love this image and this angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Grace. I sort of feel that way 1/2 way....