Thread: Kanapahasaurus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kanapahasaurus

One morning while eating breakfast at the hotel in Gainesville, I was talking with someone who, of all things, was an international expert on prehistoric animals. The subject came up when I mentioned I was heading to the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens nearby. He told me of a little-known dinosaur that -- because of its peculiar diet -- may have escaped extinction in certain locales. It wasn't nearly as large as the dinosaurs that are better known, and its short legs prevented it from outrunning carnivores. Through evolution, it developed a hide that made it look like a decaying piece of a fallen tree. When one of the large dinosaurs approached, the disturbance was detected by the flexible sensors on its head, and it would lie motionless until the danger passed. From the scientist's description, I think what I saw later that day might've been one that survived.

Name:  021115-prehstoric--046-52-100-106_HDR.jpg
Views: 7145
Size:  398.6 KB

(You do realize I'm just kidding, right? It was composited from a piece of a hollow fallen tree and a small, healthy palmetto. But the shots were taken at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens.)

Nikon D3s and a 16mm fisheye lens for both at f/22, and both were 7-exposure HDRs at 1 EV intervals

processing highlights
    • Topaz Simplify -- saved watercolor preset
    • Alien Skin Snap Art -- saved watercolor wash preset, Hard Light blend mode
    • Three masked fills were used to recolor the palmetto -- brown, Hue; gray, Darken; gray, Color
    • two Belle Fleur textures in three masked layers -- Linear Dodge, Vivid Light, Pin Light
    • three masked black & white saved Fractalius presets in four layers -- Multiply, Divide, Multiply, Multiply
    • Snap Art Line Art -- saved black & white preset, Multiply, masked
    • Simplify -- saved black & white edges preset, Multiply, masked
    • Nik Color Efex -- Tonal Contrast

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Dennis, this made me laugh! I read it and kept thinking "is that really true - I didn't know that and I've lived in Gainesville most of my life!". Wonderfully creative and of course, well executed. He (she?) looks very charming and happy
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I got a laugh too. Not sure how you did the "mane". Prehistoric and funny at the same time! I like the smile too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Clever and well-done picture and story!! Great find and well executed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Schuknecht View Post
    . . . Not sure how you did the "mane". . . .
    Thanks for your comments, Jackie. This was the starting point for it. I flipped the image horizontally, masked the extraneous stuff away, and rotated what was left. After that, there was trial and error to get the color to match the rest of the head.

Name:  021115-grdns-046-52_HDR.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  396.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image and the lead in story are most creative and amusing. I see a long nosed smug porcupine.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis! How ingenious! I did see the palm leaf though, and noticed those textures on the wood Love what you did here, true OOTB thinking and very arty at the same time! Congratulations!!!

Kind regards (and lots of smileys)
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I LOVE this critter! I think it is related to early horses. Super creative and lots of fun reading your tongue-in-cheek narrative! Plus a great composite image with such interesting lines and textures. The appearance of an "eye" and "mouth" further the illusion. The limited color palette adds to the drama. Well done!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Bell View Post
    . . . I think it is related to early horses. . . .
    Thanks for your comments, Nancy. Funny thing that you should mention early horses . . . Kanapaha apparently comes from two words of the local Timucua Indians (one of the words, coincidentally, means palmetto leaf). After noticing the resemblance to a horse, I'd thought very seriously about adding an ear, "painting" a circle around the eye -- something that was done by Native Americans in the west, at least, to give their mounts better vision -- and make up a different story.
    Last edited by Dennis Bishop; 04-19-2015 at 07:56 PM.