Thread: Teaming with life!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Teaming with life!

Attached Images Attached Images

I just love the Mara Region & the Mara river! There is always so much happening and such high density of wildlife that our cams seldom get rest while on safari. This is the mara river with hippos and wildebeests in dozens and moving around the river. I could have gone B&W with this image, do let me know your thoughts.
    1/400
    f/7.1
    ISO 100
    EOS 7D
    70mm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry, forgot to add this to the theme.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev,

This is one of your best images ever - it is simply stunning and I just love the composition!

I will certainly look again tomorrow, had a long day today so forgive me for not saying more...I will be back:)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

4. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the depth in this image, Sanjeev. The Mara sure does rock! River looks to have been dry at this time...
    In an ideal world I would have loved a clear FG view towards the hippos...and yes B&W could work as well!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - A really great scene here. Lots to look at and I like the depth. Interesting that most of the animals seem to be in horizontal lines. Well processed. Yes, it could work in b&w but I really like the lines of green too.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev this is a very nice animalscape with a lot of "action" going on , by the layered landscape and animals you have a great depth in the frame where the eye can wonder through the image back and forth .I only wish for a cleaner FG ....... but we cannot have all at times , so you did a good job all around for me.

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev , lovely animal-scape here. like the symmetry of the Wildebeest and the processing is very nice.

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the images intent and I think you did what you could with the curse of equatorial light! Sweetlight is so fleeting in Kenya. I might clone out the FG dung pile. Good job

14. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev - I am viewing again tonight, earlier and with fresh eyes, and like it just as much. A few small nits the members pointed out and which I only notice now, but they do not change how I feel about this image.

There are things you cannot change - like the bushes in the FG. You could go tighter on the bottom (just below the big hippo) but I am not sure it will make a big difference - try it if you like and see what you think. You could crop from the top as well for a more "compact" view, but then you'll lose some precious elements of this image.

I just love this scene and all that is happening in it, the vast landscape, the rich vegetation in the BG. Despite the number of wildlife present, the air seems quiet and I detect a lovely sense of tranquility - the opposite of what I have seen of Mara in photographs, which is mostly Wildebeests or Zebra tumbling down an embankment among clouds of dust towards crocodile-filled waters.
    So here you have it, my thoughts after viewing this image a second time around...Congrats my friend

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for feedback. Much appreciated. The image is minimally processed with slight levels and curves adj, minimal sharpening on hippos and wildebeests. I could easily clone out the dung bit but wanted to portray the scene as the way I saw it. I liked the way the animals were in horizontal lines (as Rachel described) and the way the land curved on both edges as if to cradle the wildlife and the way it sloped upwards at the far end. There is a sense of tranquility (as Gabriela rightly put it) with the hippos resting by the river as if sun bathing and the wildebeests doing what they do best, i.e., migrate/wander. The light was what it was and as Dale says, the region is unique with fleeting light.

18. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice animalscape here Sanjeev, and for me your best image to date for sure.

I love the central curved procession line that anchors this composition, and like how you've handled the difficult lighting here.

Overall a wonderful story well documented.

TFS

20. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev

Well spotted and captured!
    This truly a slice of time in the Mara.
    Love how the wildebeest are "stringing" along, like a pearl necklace...
    The image convey the "big" space.
    Well done!
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

22. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Snajeev,

indeed a very nice image with all the animals in there.

Well, not knowing if there would have been space to move 1-2meters forward. I think and just assuming, having the hippos in the middle of the image, as they are already and on both side the bushes/trees framing this scene would be awesome. You might would have not gotten all animals walking along the cut off hill, but still maybe enough to come up with another great comp!
    Just my thoughts

Ciao Anette

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Overall an outstanding image with strong composition Leading the viewer right in, and developing a story.. if you could have arranged less of the front bushes, perhaps even a stronger image! Regardless.. quite impressive my friend!!