Thread: Turk's cap lily

Ron Conlon

Default Turk's cap lily

Attached Images Attached Images

I had been eagerly awaiting the opening of the Turk's cap lilies, because they seemed ideal subjects for stacking. The first opened this morning, and I watched it curl back the petals over a few hours before beheading it and bringing it in.

The camera and lens are a departure: the lens is a Minolta 100mm bellows macro adapted to a Panasonic Micro four-thirds GF3. I shot it also with my usual Nikon 200mm, but preferred the stacks from the bellows lens. Getting a remote flash to fire from the consumer camera is a DIY affair of firing the onboard flash to trigger an optical trigger to fire a radio trigger to a Nikon SB28 speedlight--I was quite pleased that it worked.

Tripod, GF3 adapted to a Minolta MD 100mm bellows lens on a bellows, 2 sec delay on the shutter, remote flash in a lightbox, f6.3 1/160s ISO 160
    21 images adjusted in ACR, PMax stacked in Zerene, cropped and sharpened in Photoshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing sharpness, the stacking worked well. Do the leaves normally all curl to the back? Impressive image.
    Ben

Ron Conlon

Thanks, Ben. Yes, the petals curling back is a characteristic. It may actually be a tiger lily rather than a turk's cap, both have the curls.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A truly masterful creation. I love the sharpness, the flower, and the black BKGR. The two little leaves on the upper frame edge bug me a bit. That only after I noticed them....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

splendid stacking made this image so nice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just outstanding! But same comment on added black canvas as your later dahlia post. This one is closer to matching tones, though. Being able to see differences in blacks is a good indication of the quality of the monitor and calibration. Some just can't achieve that separation even with the best calibration.