Thread: Heliophanus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heliophanus

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folk... I trust that you are all well?

I haven't posted for ages... life can get just too hectic!

This is an image of a 2mm juvenile jumper called Heliophanus. It was very difficult to capture such a busy little one at such a shallow depth of field.

Crits and comments always welcome... ENJOY!

Canon 5D III
    Canon MPE 65mm f2.8
    Canon MT24-EX Macro twin-lite (diffused)
    Aperture: f11
    SS: 1/160
    ISO: 100
    Mag: 3-4x

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jason:

He looks like a fierce monster for sure. Well exposed, effective DOF, nice colors.

Can you share how you approached this fellow? I am also curious about your flash diffusers. I assume it must be off a tripod, but with this active of a fellow it must be a real challenge.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent work, Jason! Plenty of detail in the darks without toasting the highlights, superb use of DOF, compelling subject. Getting close enough to find this little one in the viewfinder (not to mention compose and make this image) without having it jump away must have been quite challenging. VWD!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Randy and Mitch for the views and comments!

Randy: Can you share how you approached this fellow?... well this through lots of practice and understanding and research of the characteristic behavour of jumping spiders... they never sit still for one moment (more passive when they have a catch)... and with my camera set up, all is manual no auto focus (MPE doesn't have auto focus)... a good steady hand which I have been blessed with helps.

Randy: I am also curious about your flash diffusers... I have built a tent diffuser as per the following link: http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forums...Diffuser/page3 The only problem is that this choc paper has Run out in our stores in SA... we have replaced it with wax paper which the ladies use at beauty salons to wax their legs. All my images are captured HANDHELD so no tripod what so ever.

Randy I hope this helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jason:

Thanks for the info. Impressive handholding, as I find it hard to do a much larger, more stationary butterfly and get it all in plane with my available DOF.

I went to the link you mentioned, but it wasn't quite clear what the choc paper? really looks like. Will have to do some further checking.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it ! Especially like the membranes half covering the eyse. Great techs too.
    well done
    JohnR

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow that's a belter the shallow DOF works just fine and it is interesting to see all the membranes work in synchrony. I'll be honest I never knew spiders had eye membranes! The detail and plane of focus looks optimal to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John and Jonathan... appreciate all the views and comments!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jason-you are a Master! I took great delight in viewing this image, it reveals so much about these tiny creatures! The detail is amazing, so are the colours, cannot take my eyes of this little jumper. Impeccable presentation as always, congratulations Jason!

Kind regards,

Gabriela

PS In 2008 I was busy studying and was at home a lot-I had this small jumping spider visiting my study every time I switched on the computer, he loved the screen and especially the movement on it, so as soon as I used the mouse and the arrow was moving on the screen, the little one was in action, trying to catch it.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jason - good to see you back here - and with another excellent photo! Capturing a subject only 2 mm long is tricky while handholding as the DOF is tiny - you accomplished it quite well. Nice flash diffusion, as usual.

For those who have not photographed jumping spiders before - their eyes are like perfect mirrors. What may appear to be membranes are simply reflections of whatever is in front of them e.g., the camera lens, flash, diffuser, and substrate upon which the spider is standing. You can always get a hint of what type of flash/diffusion the photographer is using by checking the reflections in the eyes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Impressive image, all the technical boxes ticked.
    Ben

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, Steve and Ben! Comments and views always appreciated!

Gabriela: Yes a jumper is my favourie spider... full of character and attitude... I so enjoy photographing them.

Steve: Thank you for notes, pointers made... yip you can see my diffusion clearly in his eyes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image of the little guy Jason! Perfectly captured.