Thread: Bosque Steam Bath....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bosque Steam Bath....

Attached Images Attached Images

On the cold IPT morning of 11/27/10 at the North RR Pond. Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -2/3 stop: 1/1000 sec. at f/10. (Barely enough to save the RED channel....)

Two merged crane heads replaced.... Thus, a photo illustration by my definition.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Birds as Art. That is what exactly came into my mind when I saw this image.
    Thanks for sharing Artie.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Birds as art, indeed! Spectacular light and setting. I can't get my eyes off this image. Like everything about it. Thanks for sharing.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, love this one - definitely art. I like the extra tall plume of mist rising up. Looks great!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I strongly suggest you enter this into the next contest that comes along. Holy cow!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I aspire to see in a situation like this the photographic possibilities while having the technical expertise to make the vision reality. Congratulations on your technical and artistic achievement. I'd forget about the tiny duck lower left and center the cranes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Marek View Post
    I strongly suggest you enter this into the next contest that comes along. Holy cow!
    Thanks Chris :) But I could not (and would not) enter this version in most contests as I have monkeyed around with two of the crane heads.....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Craig, I love the little duck, that is actually a Snow Goose. Glad that you noticed :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really really like the goose too. If anything, I'd remove clipped incoming crane (?) on the right.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Kodikal View Post
    I really really like the goose too. If anything, I'd remove clipped incoming crane (?) on the right.
    Good eyes Siddarth. I never even noticed that single wing on the frame edge....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

A lovely light painting, with many layers of tone despite the limited color palette.
    Nice to have most of the birds looking in same direction, and I think the snow goose is one of those little hidden jewels that you see as you scan around the image.

This type of image is enough to entice me to visit Bosque.

Cheers

Randy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, you all are persuading me that the tiny snow goose does add to this memorable shot . . .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

It was a beautiful morning and you created a stunner!:) The steam looks great.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite breathtaking - birds as art indeed in the true sense of the word. Thanks for sharing - inspiring.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. Chris, the folks on the IPT really enjoyed the slide program that you sent. I will be doing "The Complete Bosque Experience" again next year and you are again invited as a guest co-leader.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning!!! I agree with Chris it is quite breathtaking and would look sweet printed on canvas.... It has
    excellent depth and unlike others I've seen lately you can see every detail in the scene it has my eyes looking
    throughout the whole image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks James, I did spend a bit of time dickering with the color temp,Exposure, Black and Brightness sliders and with various HSL sliders before conversion, and with Selective Color once I got the image into Photoshop. I am most proud on the two head replacement surgeries and the work I did with the over-exposed highlights....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is the image as it opened in ACR.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And here is the image converted at the ACR defaults. I was so excited to discover the fire in the mist--many folks to our right simply did not realize what was occurring just to their left, that I did not subtract enough light (though at -2/3 I though that I had done OK at the time) :)

The darker processed image in Pane 1 surely has a more primeval look than the image here :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kes View Post
    quite breathtaking. It was one of my wish-for-scenes, but I missed it (just wasn't able to see it when it was there :( as Jim and I passed it). Well processed and the image is revealing a great level of detail.
    Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater: this was on Saturday the 27th, the morning of the Blurry Day event, not on the prior occasion when I missed it (too).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur, this is a great photo illustration:) I agree with the others that it's the sense of depth and layers that really allows your eye to wander around the frame and then start all over again. I do very much like the post-processing too; looks great for this image.

Cheers,
    Greg Basco

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Here is the image as it opened in ACR.
    Outstanding Processing!!! The icing on the cake it really gave it the depth with the shadows and highlights from foreground to background I'm sure this image will make you some money.
    This is a good lesson for someone wanting to improve in the digital age that processing is just another very important step.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A signature Art Morris image and I stress the "ART". Not much to add to what has allready been said but the depth, clarity and mood of the scene stand out for me. TFS the post processing work.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kes View Post
    I know. I was just hitting me on the head again today, as I could have had it: when it was there, I didn't see it; when I was gone, it happened again.
    Hey, I have 16 years experience there and know the place better than anyone. And I was standing in the right place ten minutes before it happened. And then left! With the group!!! So don't hit your head too hard :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow.... very powerful shot Arthur! Love the feel of it!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful imagery - feels like I am there (and makes me want to go!) :)

Charles

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image. And special thanks for posting the image before optimization. I must admit that I am struggling with my images from that morning. But your comparison gave me some ideas. Let's see how it goes. JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love your image and I was glad I was there to capture the event also