Thanks again Artie and Roger.

Regarding shimmer, I live in a coastal area where the water is usually a lot cooler than the air. Also winter runs from Nov-Mar. These conditions create shimmer for me at least several times of year. It almost always happens on sunny days so it's pretty easy to avoid but every now and then it happens. What I meant about flexibility is that 600mm would be way too much in many situations I shoot, and you can't just take a hacksaw and cut it in half to get a 300mm lens but you can make a 300mm into a 600mm lens. I realise with the 300mm you lose the long reach of the 600 with TCs.

I owned the Canon 500/4 until it was stolen last August. It was a dream for me to own for 3+ years and it still hurts to think about it gone! I know, it was only a "thing", but it was a very nice "thing"! So I am familiar with both the advantages and disadvantages of a long lens. I am now starting from scratch so to speak and the new version II 500 has complicated the future decision. This is why I am toying with the 300/2.8 II. All the very positive reviews and comments on the lens, including the OP here has just got me thinking more.