Thread: Canon EOS-1D X Digital Camera Body Details

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It would be interesting to see world wide sales numbers of the 7D, 5D2, 1D4, and 1Ds3. What percentage of the Canon market cares about a cropped sensor; what percentage of the market cares about AF at f/8? The new features on the 1DX make the 1D4 in the world of technology obsolete. Obviously Canon believes there is a larger market TODAY of potential spenders at $6800 for the 1DX than for this camera than $5500 for the soon to be technologically "obsolete" 1D4.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    It would be interesting to see world wide sales numbers of the 7D, 5D2, 1D4, and 1Ds3. What percentage of the Canon market cares about a cropped sensor; what percentage of the market cares about AF at f/8? The new features on the 1DX make the 1D4 in the world of technology obsolete. Obviously Canon believes there is a larger market TODAY of potential spenders at $6800 for the 1DX than for this camera than $5500 for the soon to be technologically "obsolete" 1D4.
    Hi Jay,
    I wouldn't say the 1DIV is obsolete. Something becomes obsolete when newer technology does more than old technology. The 1DX does not eclipse the 1DIV. The pixel size means resolution on a subject with the 1DX is significantly less, and add performance at longer focal lengths (f/8) means the 1DIV can still perform better than the 1DX in some important situations. But it makes the 5DII obsolete, although the price is so excessive that I'm sure many will still choose the 5DII.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
    Hi Jay,
    I wouldn't say the 1DIV is obsolete. Something becomes obsolete when newer technology does more than old technology. The 1DX does not eclipse the 1DIV. The pixel size means resolution on a subject with the 1DX is significantly less, and add performance at longer focal lengths (f/8) means the 1DIV can still perform better than the 1DX in some important situations. But it makes the 5DII obsolete, although the price is so excessive that I'm sure many will still choose the 5DII.

Roger
    Of course it is not obsolete; just a little Down Under stirring of the porridge.

As pointed out, the technical concerns voiced here are perhaps 1% of Canon market.

A 5D3 is in my future.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

From what was published the 1D X production line's max output capacity is 7,000 units/month. I would make the assumption that is the max output of the 1D and 1Ds product lines in the past.

This is in sharp contrast to 10 million EOS bodies shipped in 16 months the bulk of which are APS-C frame bodies.

Assuming a constant production of 7,000 units/month for 16 months would come out as 112 thousand EOS 1-Series bodies out of 10 million EOS bodies.

This makes the 1-Series 1.12% of EOS bodies sold by Canon.

1987-1997 = 10 million EOS bodies
    1997-2003 = 10 million EOS bodies
    2003-2007 = 10 million EOS bodies
    2007-2010 = 10 million EOS bodies (May 2010)
    2010-2011 = 10 million EOS bodies (June 2010-September 2011)

Source: http://www.canon.com/news/2011/oct18e.html

As for those who want f/8 I am guessing this is isolated to that 1.12% of owners of EOS bodies. :) It would be nice to have f/8 on all AF points and f/11 AF at center point. This would make the 400mm f/5.6, 100-400mm IS & 800mm IS so much more useful. Then again you will be fighting atmospheric distortion at that point. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Last edited by Pao Dolina; 10-21-2011 at 08:59 PM.