Thread: A Time to Sow, a Time to Reap, and a Time to Fledge!

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Time to Sow, a Time to Reap, and a Time to Fledge!

Attached Images Attached Images

Harsh light and other technical factors may keep this image out of the Hall of Fame. But I hope the subject matter carries the day.

Earlier, I posted an image of a purple martin carrying nesting materials to one of our bird houses. Here, you see in another house three amigos purple martin chicks peering out of three apartments, surrounded no doubt by proud parents, and possibly an aunt or uncle. The three amigos chicks are very close to getting "outta here," i.e., fledging.

Note the detached hook on the left of the image. I used the hooks in building the house to facilitate apartment cleaning in the fall, after the martins have deserted us for warmer climates. But we need the hooks firmly attached to prevent serious embarrassment (or worse) for the birds if a strong wind arises.

So my most significant other, Linda, dutifully set forth recently at midday to reattach the hook. Hey, there were no adult birds present, so it was a piece of cake. Right?

Wrong! From hundreds of yards away across nearby Fairlee Creek came the unmistakeable "Chee Chur" (and other unrepeatable cries) of angry adult purple martins (loosely translated, lay off our kids!).

The hook was fastened, but Linda was again reminded of the perils and privileges of being landlords for the remarkable purple martin!

Norm
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 07-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.