Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
Stu - yes typo I should have written "note". When processing in DPP it can be very surprising how much the colours change when using the dropper tool. When possible try to go for grey to white and in an area that is not going to be influenced by reflected light that would cause a cast. Have a look at the Fine Tune box - sometimes just 1 click in the Blue to Azure direction can give the look that had been eluding you.
I know this can complicate matters but it is often worthwhile making your "Standard" camera setting conversion and then try one that is "Neutral" and then ask yourself which is the more pleasing result. I also check out other settings but keep an eye on the sharpening that is associated with different camera settings - they do vary considerably - especially the "Fine Detail" setting.
You may also look at remapping the Histogram using some slight adjustments in the Gamma, look at the effects of the right, central and left sliders, don't forget it is easy to go back to default with a click of the left facing curved arrow at the top of the palette. I am not indicating you would do this as a matter of routine but I think it does help in image manipulation to know as much as you can about what is at your disposal in DPP. George Cairns has been doing some free tutorials in CPN website - they may help - they are downloadable so you can easily refer to them.
I am hoping to get some shots of hares maybe next week, poor light and rain for next few days.
Hmm I must of jinxed this thread,with typos john, that extra 0 in my shutter speed is a real pain,sorry for asking needed to be sure. John thanks for your kindness,you guys here are very special,I might just have this mfa sorted finally Jon,but again the offer of help from your good self was so lovely,cheers mate !!

Jon cool post above for me above cheers for mentioning George's vids. I haven't got through all yet Steve so kindly helped me with,but they are absolutlely wonderful for such as moi. I don't oft use the fine tune,I find the dropper eratic jon sometimes I'm really happy,sometimes not so much! Jon I took WB it off the tail I felt pure white,but might that be throwing things slightly....might that be reflecting more green than it should. I find the colour temp more reliable really jon but the specifics in the fine tune something to dig at.
I almost always use fine detail Jon regarding picture style,it's a legacy of knowing I can't provide an image on the web of the "percieved sharpness" Steve speaks of. IQ sort of haunts me mate. It's something I will probably not use so much once I can get to PS. It is very difficult not being able to present the sharp from my RAW that folks are used to seeing,becasue I can't work selectively,maybe it's clouding my judgement.... I have done but find most a bit coarse Neutral as Andreas showed me way back is the only other one I've ever really considered as a base to work upwards from.

Thank you mate cracking post .

Ahh buddy this light of late, it's so hard. The clouds parted here tonight after rain my 4 owls will be out and I'm grafting it might have been amazing. All the luck for you, I'd love you to grab the chances I dream of. I don't actually know how to read when it peaks here. Steve is closest on the colour but having these edits and the chance to speak to you guys is so humbling

cheers

stu