Thread: King Penguins And A Little Fur Seal

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default King Penguins And A Little Fur Seal

Attached Images Attached Images

I collected a number of video clips during a recent visit to South Georgia Island, on the way to the Antarctic Peninsula. My camera was a Nikon D7000 with a Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens, that I mounted on a BENRO C-169MB CF Travel Angel tripod with a Markins M-20 ball head. I used only the camera's built-in microphone to record sounds.

I've edited the clips and combined them using iMovie on my iMac. Where I could, I added sound segments from the iLife sound effects "Jingles" collection. But despite an annoying, roaring wind, I've kept the original sound tracks where King Penguins are feeding chicks, because I think that the sounds they and their chicks make are fascinating. Looking back at my experience, I wish I had taken my Rode VideoMic Pro microphone with the fuzzy wind shield, because I think it might have tamed the wind while retaining the vocalizations of the penguins. I hope to repeat the trip and will do that then.

So here is the YouTube link to my creation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLxgf...JGUclnV0oVqIaF.

To add a little color to this post, I've attached a screen shot from the beginning of the video, which I prepared for the web in PS CS5.

Please offer your comments and suggestions.

Norm