Thread: Darker birds and white to beige flowers

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Darker birds and white to beige flowers

Attached Images Attached Images

I've spent a couple mornings photographing some of the birds that use the nectar from our large saguaro cacti.
    Got some shots that I really like to composition of, but exposure is difficult. If I follow the camera, then the flowers come out perfect, but the darker birds are a little underexposed. If I adjust it during the shot then I lose way too much of the flowers detail. I'm assuming my only option is photoshop and I'm a newbie.
    I think what you guys refer to as a mask would help, where I only lighten the bird but not the whole photo, is that correct? Can you guys recommend a book or site with tutorials that would help me do it. I have Art's digital basics but still struggling.
    Here is a white winged dove on a nice mat of fresh flowers opened that night around 7 AM. I'm having similar problems with some nice Curve bill thrashers.
    Canon 7d
    100 - 400 5.6 L lens at 300, on tripod.
    F-11 at 1/800 with ISO at 320.
    Your input is greatly appreciated, and these guys are too far for me to use my 580 for fill flash and can't afford a better beamer yet. Hoping I can get it where I want with photoshop.