Thread: TUTORIAL: Merging focal point images by hand

Threaded View

Fabs Forns

Default TUTORIAL: Merging focal point images by hand

Attached Images Attached Images

I had promised to do this and here it goes. I'm sure there's better ways to do it and even software out there for the purpose. But this is my way:

Make sure you are using a tripod and a ball head to avoid displacement of subject (it can be helped)
    Using Manual mode will help with consistent EXP. This was done in Aperture value, though.
    You will need to use Manual focus.

Pick a live subject that is not very active at that moment.
    Compose filling the frame, with room around, not too tight.
    This is referring to a Damselfly. If you have another subject with different shape, you may have to alter the focusing points. Pick your aperture according to your needs, keeping an out of focus BG. I used f/5.6 here.

Focus on the head. A remote cable will help getting sharper images, but it was not used here. Take your picture.
    Without moving the camera, turn the focusing ring to get the middle of the subject in focus. Take your picture.
    Repeat with the tail.
    You have now the same image with three critical focus points.

Open them in PS.
    Pick the one with the sharp head as base image (not that it matters) and go to the second image (middle in focus)
    and select the part that is is sharp focus. I used quick mask, but you can use whatever selection method you are familiar with, remembering to feather if you need to. (Quick Mask tutorial available from Birds as Art)
    Copy it (Control/Command C) and paste (Control/Command V) into the first image. Reduce the opacity of the new layer and align with the first one. Once it is aligned, go back to 100% opacity. If for any reason they don't align perfectly, use the Transform Tool to distort, using the Warp option if needed. Should you have a color discrepancy,
    use Curves from the toolbar, not as a layer to match the color.
    Repeat the same with the tail image.
    Merge layers and process as you usually do.

Hope I made this easy to follow.