Thread: Using Audio for Photographing Birds: The Basics.

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Using Audio for Photographing Birds: The Basics.

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the best kept secrets in bird photography is the use of audio to lure subjects closer and onto attractive perches. I've toyed with this method for about two years and the results have been much better than expected. Some of my recent postings using this technique has created some interest from various members; here are the basics as well as my take on the ethics of using audio to attract our avian friends.

I use a 20 foot wire to connect an mp3 player to external speakers. Folks using longer lenses would likely wish to use 40 foot wire. I use small inexpensive "clamshell" speakers that are light and easy to carry. With the 20 foot wire I can set the speakers near a selected perch (or group of perches) and be able to change species' songs or stop the current song from my mp3 player while staying hidden in a blind. I keep the volume on the speakers at high, and only use the mp3 player's volume controls to set the volume from my position as you may need to raise the volume higher if the birds are far away or if there are other noises from high winds or from heavy vehicular traffic. After a bird approaches, I can turn the volume down to a more "natural" level without leaving the blind.

I can usually tell very quickly if a bird will cooperate. A subject that will come close is usually looking relaxed and more "curious" than distressed in it's behavior. It will gradually come closer, turning its head trying to figure out where the "song" comes from. It may fly from tree to tree but in relaxed and calculated manner, and usually comes closer each time it flies until it is right next to the speakers. Some will bee-line straight toward the speakers immediately and then leave after a few seconds while others will provide minutes of excellent opportunities. Some may change behaviour and become distressed...If and when a bird becomes distressed (see the symptoms of distressed below), it is time to stop. With birds that refuse to come near the speakers or are distressed from the get go, it is best to turn off the speakers and try another species or another location.

Distress signs include, but are not limited to: a fluttering wings or low drooping of the wings when perched (usually too far for photos); having the bill agape even when the bird is not singing; the bird continuously and nervously flying back and forth from tree to; the distress call is being used instead of regular (territorial) song. These are worst case scenarios and are usually immediately visible as soon as the audio is turned on...a bird that is stressed will usually not come close, and even if it does you will only be making photographs of obviously stressed birds. Pay close attention to each bird’s behavior; if in doubt, do not continue.

Not all individuals from the same species behave the same way toward audio. You may encounter one individual that responds well to tape in one area and then try it on another of the same species elsewhere and get an obviously distressed individual. Try the audio and judge each bird’s reaction...you will find out very soon whether or not you have a cooperative subject.

You may get lucky just staying out in the open and close to a perch, but the success rate goes up dramatically when audio is used in conjunction with a blind, especially when you are using shorter lenses. I like the light "pop-up" type blinds. Some birds won't approach adequately without the use of a blind, but will readily come in when you are concealed in one. In either case the success rate is often quite low, but when the jackpot hits, it hits like no other opportunity can!