Thread: Safe at Last

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Safe at Last

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

There is so much going on in a little baboon's life! It seems every member of the family wants to pick him up and carry him around and even take him away from his mother. But mothers are very powerful and respected, they make up the stable core of the group and a very strict hierarchy exists between the adults ones and the young. They have the power to discipline everyone.

The young usually inherit the rank of the mother and therefore even adult females of lower rank are subordinate to the offspring of the dominant kinship matriarch. Young males stick around until they are about four years of age...at this time they become dominant over all females, and even the males of lower ranking females.

So it's all rather complicated...

Here is an image of a youngster, it was taken in the Kruger Park last month. He is seeking protection from a few mothers after being chased around by a couple of young males. His screams got my attention but by the time I focused on him he was safely nested among the females and holding tight on one of his cousins' leg. Loved the 'catch me if you can' pose, hope you like it too:)

Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 mm F4
    ISO 1600
    F7.1
    +1/3 EV
    1/2500s

Thank you so much for your time to view and I appreciate any comments or critique from you, be it of a technical nature or otherwise.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea