Thread: Azure Kingfisher

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Azure Kingfisher

Attached Images Attached Images

Some days you have good and bad on the same day I went out to Osprey House Environmental Centre to hopefully get one of the resident Ospreys flying in with a fish...or my "bucket list" shot...talons out flying towards me, but it was not to be. As soon as I pulled up at the car park the Osprey flew up to the nest on the pole with a fish. A few minutes earlier and I probably would have caught it flying in. So, after spending more time there with no success, I headed 15 minutes away to another location, hoping the Azure Kingfisher that I've seen there once before would make itself known. In between rain sessions I was able to photograph a juvenile Australasian Grebe (my first time) before heading to the Azure location. As I approached the small bridge I moved very slowly hoping it would be resting on a specific branch where I had seen it ages ago. Just as I started to move closer to the bridge I heard its "pip", and it landed on the branch below me. Looking down was my only vantage point at the time, so here's one of the photos I was able to get. After a series of shots it flew away and I was not able to get more, despite moving to a better vantage point. I came home smiling (despite the splint on my finger after rupturing the tendon 10 days ago...at least I can hold the camera, but my guitar playing is on hold...yes, I'm a classical guitarist) Cheers.

D500/500PF, 1/1250th sec@f5.6, iso 1600, manual mode HH. Basic adjustments in ACR and PS, and some NR.