Thread: Eye to Eye with my Girl

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eye to Eye with my Girl

Attached Images Attached Images

Image captured in January this year, one of those wonderful and relaxed moments with my girl

As you can imagine, the bushveld is not always a scene of vast numbers of animals and in fact most of the time it is just emptiness and silence...We often follow animal tracks hoping for signs of the passing of various species and every now and then we are lucky to find predators like lions or leopards.

Lions are both diurnal and nocturnal, often found in prides. A lioness with cubs is highly protective of her little ones and one should be careful during such encounters - when feeling threatened, the prelude to a charge consists of the tail lashing up and down as well as a roar with flattened ears.

This old girl is very confident and quite relaxed in the presence of humans, I must say I have never experienced any uncomfortable situations when close to her or her cubs. We keep a healthy distance from them so she is never stressed.

Hope you enjoy this image, it is quite special to me. Errr...you'll get to see the cubs at a later stage

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 2500
    F6.3
    2/3 EV
    1/1600s

Processed in LR and PSCC - a very tiny crop, the usual PP, no tricks and no additional software. Hope to hear from you, comments and critique welcome as well as RP's.

Have a wonderful weekend,
    Gabriela Plesea