Thread: Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus)

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello friends,

Hope you are all enjoying the week-end. I would like to share an image of a Wild Dog today and for those of you interested some bits of information about the species.

Wild dogs form packs of ten to twenty-five members where only the Alpha male and female breed. They are unique among other mammals in that the young females within the pack eventually migrate to join other packs while the male offspring usually remain with the natal pack. All members cooperate to raise the young and there is very little aggression within the family.
    Researchers say that when hunting Wild Dogs can reach speeds of up to 60 km/h, after which they slow down but continue to chase for an average of 2 km. This kind of 'stamina' outlasts that of many species of prey and so it makes them very successful hunters.
    After a successful chase the dogs regurgitate some of the meat ingested for the pups at the den, but also for the adults who stayed behind. Unlike hyenas - which have amazingly strong digestive juices that start digestion almost immediately - the wild dogs are not physically able to carry food for long distances. Instead they evolved a stomach in which they are able to store food/meat from a kill temporarily. In fact they are able to travel long distances back to the den and still regurgitate, provided they do not lie down to rest - in which case their metabolism slows down and digestive process begins immediately (this makes regurgitation impossible).

Weight: approx 22 kg for females and up to 32 kg for males
    Gestation: approx 2 1/2 months
    Life span: approx 10 years
    Litter size: seven to ten usually, up to nineteen pups
    Habitat: open areas and plains in woodlands
    Food: only fresh meat, mostly antelope

This image was captured in the Kruger Park on the 12th of May. My companion and I witnessed some amazing interactions between the pack members and were able to follow them for a while while hunting. Wild Dogs are not easy to photograph because their movement patterns are quite erratic and unpredictable. They can be vocal and playful and show great excitement when preparing to go on a hunt.
    I find them so beautiful and amazing. Unfortunately I do not have an image that gives them justice, nevertheless I will share what I managed to capture and hope for more opportunities in September this year.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 2500
    F 7.1
    0EV
    1/800s

Processed in LR and PSCC. Thank you so much for viewing, I appreciate it. As well as comments of any nature.
    Gabriela Plesea