Thread: Kissing Male Prairie Chickens with Luck.

Threaded View

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kissing Male Prairie Chickens with Luck.

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this in the Ne Sandhills yesterday. I think it is my best of Grouse fighting. So hard to get two birds with good head angles no closed eyelids or nictating membranes or clipping by the photographer. These grouse are so athletic hard to believe the positions they get in when fighting. I have flown falcons at grouse for twenty five years and have seen all kinds of interactions. I think that is why I like photographing them never a dull moment. They are a very gregarious bird by nature. Sometimes luck is better than skill. Only negative for me is the dried up pond in the background. would rather had prairie grass. Funny thing was the grass was so high couldn't really focus on birds in the grass on the lek I was shooting mostly set ups mostly branches and small shrubs. I only tried a dozen shots at birds fighting and came up with one good one. Also had a male Sharptail dancing along with the chickens. Sometimes it happens and you end up with a hybrid species. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop,Topaz noise. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4 L IS
    700 mm
    Av 7.1
    1/3200
    ISO 1600