Thread: High Alert

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High Alert

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I rarely share images of Painted Dogs because I do not have that many, opportunities have been scarce over the years. By the way there are only about 6500 of them in the wild, which puts them on par with the desperately threatened tiger. In the past they have been treated with contempt and considered vermin, their habitat gradually destroyed and fragmented to the point that they are no longer able to survive. Some efforts are being made to preserve the species but sadly their numbers continue to decline.

My companion and I were extremely fortunate to spend some time with a pack of Wild Dogs in the Kruger National Park. We watched them greet, play, sleep, groom, and get ready to hunt. One one occasion we followed them at a distance for as long as we could, trying to catch a glimpse of them chasing an impala among the tall grasses.

Here is one image of the Alpha female on high alert, responding to an intrusion from a few spotted hyenas. Within seconds the Alpha male as well as other pack members were on their feet and the attack was launched, as expected the intruders scurried away with tails between their legs.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO1600
    F8
    1/4000s

Image processed in LR and PSCC.

Thank you kindly for viewing as well as for your comments on my previous images, much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 09-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea