Thread: Brownie from Kamtchatka in close range ....

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brownie from Kamtchatka in close range ....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... do not know why i kept this one so long under the hood .
    The situation was awesome , thrilling and just great experience !!!!!
    It was great day on Kamtchatka in terms of bear encounters , easy though , as we had just the Kambalnaya River as our main goal . Just the 8 photogs of the group and the russian forester who went with us for our safety .... the weather was less good though , more or less pouring rain for something like 3-4 hours . The bears did not care , as the photogs did for the first 2-3 hours .... the one after the other gave up , frustrated . Some folks cameras almost died due to the heavy rain .... others just went foggy inside .
    making slowly the way back to camp .... by walking along the river ... we came across a small rapid . Some folks stopped and asked if we can go shooting here .... the forester said yes . So we went down the river bank and waited for salmon and bear .... sitting there .... being already sucking wet . One after the other gave up ... i was the last one who stood the ground , still hoping .... the group wanted to go .... me not !!!
    The problem is , the rules say , the group has to together ...... so folks had to wait for me and were already frustrated and telling me that i should finish my photographic business . The forester was staying behind me .... while was shooting the bears in poor weather conditions .
    All of a sudden ... the male bear in the image started running towards me ..... i just started shooting without really seeing what i am photographing as the viewfinder was foggy , my glasses more or less foggy and smudge due to rain/ dirt and other things . Finally i managed to get some shots that came out relatively ok .... some completely OOF due to the AF not locking on the head . On the last frames i just had water / splashes and the neck of the bear .... LOL . He was close ...
    I was thrilled and the bear too .... finally realising ... how close he came to me , without being successful with the salmon . But he just looked at me .... and passed on .
    For me a great memory .... that i will never ever forget !!!

Canon EOS 1Dx
    Ef 500 IS L II
    Tripod

F 5 ; Iso 6400 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp and auto iso . Perfectly shot ETTR with some highlights being clipped in the water .

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; slight cropped from RHS and top for the 5x7 crop .

Hope you like it .... and thank you for watching.

Cheers Andreas