Thread: European Bison head shot

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European Bison head shot

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey folks ... this is more a demo posting ( internal of this Wildlife forum ) .... is a bout NR and sharpening of high iso images , from my POV . Not saying it is the perfect way .... still a very HIGH ISO image ... so it has its short comings !!!!
    Just again try to showcase what is possible with this kit .
    Even if the starting point was not ideal .... in terms of exposure , F stop and speed .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 16000 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp and auto Iso ; not shot in ETTR , at least not perfectly !! plenty of space on RHS of the histogram

Processed in DPP : usual exposure / tonal / WB / selective color corrections . NR ( luminance ) turned off . Sharpening turned off

PSCC 2020 : further slight local color corrections , slightly local contrast and very minor tonal correction with a ( soft light layer ) . NR with Neat Image on whole image ; just masked out some darker parts ( green channel at 25 % opacity as layer mask )Slightly sharpened on separate layer . Downsized with my script ; that includes several steps and several rounds of sharpening .

I could have done more on the tonal front .... but for illustration it is good enough , look at the amount of fine detail and the low level of noise ( at this size ) . Keep in mind it was shot in dense fog ( with long lens ) and not ideal exposed . And there is no secret in editing ....just a matter of sensitive work .

Hope this helps a tiny bit .... at least for those who use DPP and use Neat Image for NR !!

Cheers Andreas