Thread: Tundra Swans and 90D dillemas

Threaded View

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tundra Swans and 90D dillemas

Attached Images Attached Images

Would really appreciate a bit of thoughts on the images and also if you can tell anything from the focusing of these images.

I had been shooting with the 7DII and 800 set up and have been pleased with my images.

As there is apparently no 7DIII planned, I picked up a 90D body thinking newer technology and more megapixels.

Have only been out a few times; hummingbirds were turning out good, but these swans I'm not so sure about.

That being said, I was shooting at noon, so I'm wondering if this could be more of a haze issue even though the sun is lower all day this time of year? I did have the lenses microadjusted, and did go into the menu to set it up to stay locked on subjects similar to the set up I have on the 7DII.

I was actually looking at a 5DIV but with Canon launching a 1DX III next year, I'm hard pressed to get a 5DIV after thinking it over. My hope was the 90D would be doing better locking onto the eye; I use AF surround with 9 points and follow the bird, and at least initially it seems the older 7DII is doing a better job with it, but I need to use it more before any verdicts.

Thank you for any thoughts - all taken with the 90D, 800 set up on a tripod. Not sure if it's just me, the time of day, or the camera, but I've been shooting BIF with the 800 for 6 years now and have it down, but maybe I'm missing something or just the time of day is too much for any camera to deal with and need to shoot more with better light. Also I understand with multiple birds it can be quite hard to get them all in focus if focusing in one one bird's head.

- Paul