Thread: It's a Polar Bear!!!!

Threaded View

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default It's a Polar Bear!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so just back after a gruelling 16 day trip, 14 in Svalbard where shooting 24/7 began to take it's toll and often surreal - photographing Walruses at 1.00AM, Sunsets at 2.30AM and polar bears at ANY time... Certainly the best trip I have ever had out of three in the Svalbard archipelago and who would believe it, I bumped into Loi in a bar, (ex BPN member) just by chance before we both sailed, albeit on different ships. All ships it transpired sailed north, but we decided due to the weather reports, pack ice, expertise, knowledge of the captain and some good hunches to sail South around the main island and then NE, getting to just above 81 degrees towards the end of the trip, this turned out to be a 'masterful' stroke with over 20 bear sightings at very close quarters.

Weather, well it was dam cold and one day the whole ship was shrouded in ice which gave a different opportunity in what to photograph whilst sailing through the pack ice!!! Certainly on this trip being exposed to Mirrorless cameras it has made me think, but only from a 'weight' perspective. I still feel there is a long way to go and in part, a different way of thinking when shooting, but as I said, I won't be jumping ship just yet...

A huge amount to edit and process, but not just Wildlife, but Landscapes and the occasion Avian subject, so the trip pushed me to shooting a whole raft of things which was great. And so, just to get the ball rolling here is an adult male who came to investigate us. He was resting up on the pack ice and so we slowly, very slowly edged our way towards him and then allowing the pack ice to stop us, where upon our scent and curiosity got the better of him.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) resting on the pack ice just below the bow of the ship
    Camera: Canon EOS 5DMKIV
    Lens: 100-400f/4MKII HH
    * Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1000 Lee 100 CPL filter
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top and RHS
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019
    * Here you have to read your Histogram otherwise your exposures will be way off
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.