Thread: Polenstwa Lion

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polenstwa Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Browsing through various folders and looking for something to share I came upon this close-up of a male lion. I immediately remembered the shivers I experienced when he approached the vehicle and the frenzy that accompanied my search for a smaller lens! I did eventually manage to pick up the 70-200 but unfortunately by then my subject turned away and roared towards his companion who was following at some distance.

This was captured near a beautiful spot in the Kalahari Transfrontier Park known as Polentswa. The place is situated on the Botswana side and is rather remote, for this reason it has become my favourite camping spot over the years. There is a waterhole nearby where I have spent many hours watching animals come to drink as well as lots of avian species.

The two males were both roaring when we left the camp so my companion and I were well aware of their presence. It was easy to pick up their spoor (tracks) in the sandy road, there is hardly any traffic there. As soon as we saw them we decided to stop the vehicle and wait for them to come closer, it did take a while as they were busy sniffling every bush and stopped to roar from time to time looking down towards the waterhole.

I have shared other images of this lion which included the environment, so for a change I decided to show you this one. By the way it is almost FF. I know it is tight but I quite like getting close

Processed in LR and PSCC. Almost FF.

Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 1000
    F9
    1/2000s

Thank you so much for taking the time to view and comment on my previous images, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea