Thread: Life In The Louisiana Rookeries

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Life In The Louisiana Rookeries

Attached Images Attached Images

I visited a few Louisiana rookeries in late April. I thought I'd share some of the behavior I observed.

Image #1
    These are Snowy Egrets after a tussle for territory. No real harm done except the pond was being patrolled by a 12 foot alligator - the bird did not stay in the water long.

Image #2
    This is a Roseate Spoonbill bringing a stick back the nest. I didn't see this behavior often from the Roseates as they could be seen stealing the sticks from smaller birds' nests such as Little Blue Herons and Cattle Egrets.

Image #3
    The birds would sometimes spot sticks in the water and make a go for it. This Great Egret tried for this large stick but dropped it before making it to the nest.

Image #4
    Great Egret feeding young. This image shows two of the chicks which appear well fed. Not pictured is a hidden third chick in the nest which appears malnourished. My understanding is that it is unusual for more than two chicks to survive.

Image #5
    Here is a Cormorant bringing in a branch. I read that their nest is constructed first of bare twigs then leafy branches so this bird's nest must be near completion.