Thread: Wild boar Sus scrofa UK

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Wild boar Sus scrofa UK

Attached Images Attached Images

Wild boar were extinct here. Excapees from farms have been living in the forest of dean here for a few years now. We have exterminated all our apex predators here,so man is controlling the sprialing numbers. Sadly for many of us this cull is of concern,I shan't dwell,but it has made the boar very nervous as one might understand.
    So since becoming utterly embroiled in wildlife image making I have been trying sporadically to catch up with some boar and maybe make a couple of images. Obviously they have a reputation and need treating with great respect. so we got up at 4AM and made our way to the dean hoping to maybe catch some fallow or maybe just maybe find a boar.

Find a boar we did,just one,so laid back she could have been a tame domestic pig. A little old lady maybe she once lived in captivity,I simply don't know details. Although our little island is somewhat crowded the lonely places appeal to us. So having joe public about was something of an eye opener,I watched folks walk dogs up to her,frankly thank god that lady was behind a fence to keep deer out. Watched as cars nearly smashed into each other.Folks driving too fast spent nearly an hour and a half slowing traffic as she quitely fed in a blind spot yards from the road.

Interesting ethical debate for me I'm not meant to impinge on my subject I wanted to chase here back a bit where she was safe,plus of course she is a big old piggy whom might not be too happy about that.

I had another photographer turn up,plonk a flash between me and boar go round to other side of boar and start shooting!! Is that normally how we treat each other, not a word just crash in stuff the other guy???. I had an incredibly special day with a little old lady whom was utterly relaxed, I'd have stopped for someone else to have a go.

Utterly bewildered !!!!!!!

Ok sorry slight derail but all very relevent no FC here just the mind of a guy that kept piggies for a few years trying to not get in her way not upset her and constantly moving back as she tried to eat all the acorns. Her tail never stopped wagging like a very happy dog,but I saw first hand just what happened when she got fed up,the power the speed she went at the dog with were jaw dropping. It's around but fog is thick and sun not yet over the trees. I struggled a bit as she was so dark techs wise,little experience with something like this big and very dark. so my techs are basically doing my best,with what light was available 1/160 f4 iso 5000. so I know this time I wanted more Ss and dof but felt I had nowhere to go,maybe a bit of motion blur on here head??

Image is not cropped processed in dpp4 a bit of NR gamma pic style fine detail slight adjust boost to lower quarter or so on cuvres sharp to 9 glabal colour tone notched to red colour sat up to one colours pulled back sat blue -3 green -2 yellow -1 orange -2 Canon 1div 300 f2.8is Oh and a lensmaster gimbal and induro hi hat tripod,one of those incredibly strng but tiny things,so I can work on the floor but not have to hold the lens up for hours, Basically a little treat to try and help my IQ improve,although some light might help more

I hope this is ok for the theme, they do have tusks in the males,but i'm a bit unsure if they are intended for the theme,mods please change if needed

thanks for all the help and thought with my previous images

take care

stu