Thread: Thirst

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thirst

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

One of the greatest challenges for me in terms of photography has been to convince you as viewers to abandon your usual perspectives and consider for a moment how the natural world and its widllife looks through my eyes. I tend to sit for a long time in front of an image before sharing, wondering whether you will find it interesting or inspiring at all. I am passionate about wildlife, felines are at the top of my list when it comes to taking pictures but I assure you I never ignore the other creatures - I seek long and hard for everything that is hiding out there in the bush, whether it has a tail, fur or feathers and whether it eats roots, grasses or flies. Every breathing thing on this planet fascinates me. Even those most travellers typically ignore, registering them only out of the corner of their eyes and having little or no appreciation of what they are up to or what they want.

Such is the case with the wildebeest - the species is found just about everywhere in the Kalahari so people tend to overlook it. I hope you do not find this image too boring and that you might contribute with ideas on how to improve it. A colour version was posted some years ago, in it the orange dunes and vegetation helped create quite a dramatic effect therefore the frame was generally well received. Here I would like to know whether you'd like the vegetation to be more prominent, or you think the presence of the animals in a barren looking landscape is sufficient? Does it bother you that the subjects are not perfectly aligned? And would you prefer a more pano version?

Kindly let me have your thoughts, be it of a technical nature or otherwise. I really appreciate you taking the time to view and comment.

Nikon D3S
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 640
    F6.3
    1/1000s

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea