Thread: High ISO workflow

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High ISO workflow

Attached Images Attached Images

I have recently purchased a 1DX which has opened up a whole new world of picture taking to me. Coming from my 7d2 I now have the ability to shoot at much higher ISO's. My dilemma is as follows. Most of the shots I have taken at "high" ISO's (2,000-5,000 range) I find to be a bit flat. Perhaps I am under exposing the shots a bit as well but if I need to bring the shots up in post I find they get an even more washed out look to them. So the questions are:

Are there any tricks to processing these images?

Any tips or pointers on how to get full and rich colors when the images need the exposure raised?

Am I just too used to early morning/late evening light and am stuck thinking these shots are just dull and boring?

Do shots at high ISO's that are properly exposed have the same depth of color or is there something in particular that needs to be done to them to get those rich colors? If so what?

This image is an example of what I mean. Taken at ISO 2,000 and too fast of a shutter speed. I was ready and trying to get the bird taking off so kept the shutter speed at 2,000 as well. Ideally I guess I should have had the ISO much higher and the bird would have better exposure. To me the bird just looks dull and on the boring side. Does not have the same deep and rich tones as what I viewed in real life.

Thanks for any and all help or pointers.