Thread: Redbilled Oxpecker

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Redbilled Oxpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

It has been a while since I shared an image here but I suddenly got so tempted while viewing the latest threads last night. Thought I'd choose something with a tad of humour tonight, so here's a Redbilled Oxpecker "shouting" as he is about to receive a swat from his hosts's tail:) At the time I was observing this little bird he was busy diligently combing the fine hairs on the back of a buffalo when the Dagga Boy suddenly decided it was all too itchy and bothersome...

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 800
    F7.1
    1/1600s

Processed in LR and PSCC, this is almost FF. I could have cropped a bit more from the LHS for a more pleasing comp, but something made me think of allowing some extra space in case the Oxpecker decided to jump and avoid the swat:) Another thought, I should have perhaps increased DOF slightly to make the fur patterns (twirls) more visible. My last observation, the buffalo's tail has a "plum" or rather magenta tinge to it, I thought of removing it but changed my mind. Let me know what you think?

Captured at Zulu Nyala Game Reserve a couple of days ago, it was past 10 am and rather harsh light but I could not resist... These little chaps are so gregarious and entertaining...I have much more to share from this sighting, would you like to see the rest of the images?

Thank you so much for viewing, comments and critique much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea