Thread: Little Trophy Hunters

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Trophy Hunters

Attached Images Attached Images

The Black-backed Jackal is said to have been around for some three million years. This species is clever, cunning, brave, always in pursuit of food - the ultimate survivor. Male and female mate for life and they both take part in bringing up the young. When they grow up, subadults participate in rearing younger siblings and either guard them or hunt with a parent to provide food for everyone. As they bring the "goods" home they regurgitate a small amount for everyone present, also for Mom if she did not participate in the hunt. Apart from catching small mammals the species feeds on leftovers from larger carnivores like lion and cheetah or leopard.

My very first Story Sequence in this Forum showed you three jackals killing a springbok lamb. The following four frames portray a much softer and funnier side of this incredible little predator. Hope you enjoy those images, they were taken on a recent trip to the Kalahari, just North of Kij Kij waterhole. As soon as those trophy hunters spotted the springbok horn in the grass the game began... Lots of chasing and fooling around, and believe me it was not an easy job following them as they crossed the road constantly and ran about like random flashes of lightning!

Thank you kindly for taking the time to view, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 03-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea