Thread: Tribute to a female I have come to know well over the years

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tribute to a female I have come to know well over the years

Attached Images Attached Images

In a time when this species is taking it's toll in the rhino poaching war being waged upon them, it is really sad when a natural enemy takes yet another from the decreasing numbers.

This was one of my last series of images of this amazing mother and her calf that I had come to know so well in the past years. Just recently she was found in a seriously bad way and after being examined it was concluded that a puff adder was the cause of her dilemma. The calf who is estimated at around 18mths also survived an attack by a few members of a pride of lions during the mother's bout of fighting the poison. The cow never recovered and died a week later.

They were both lying down in a burnt area fairly close to the road. On attempting to drive past slowly with the hope of getting the light on our side she stood up so we did the best with what we had.

This my attempt at a high key image.
    The sun is coming from the opposite side. There are signs of halos on some of the edges where I feel it may be due to the lighting hitting those areas. It is FF and I would have preferred some room all round perhaps.

1dx - 400mm f2,8l IS USM mk ii
    ISO1000, f7,1 - 1/400 sec - bean bag

C&C welcome as always - thanks