I posted a question here months ago, asking about what to plan to do on a stopover in FL, and you guys said to post back when I had dates. I have dates, so here goes.

I will be flying through FL in late February and again in late March, to and from a trip to Haiti, on my way home to Indiana. I have not bought my tickets yet, so I can juggle my dates a bit, but my windows are about Feb. 24-27 or March 19-25. I'll be flying through either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale,

So far I have figured out that the Nature Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival is happening just north of Tampa March 22-24.
I also see Aitie and Denise and their Fort DeSoto In-the-field Workshop: FEB 25. If I did this, I would want some further guidance on what to do for a couple of days after that.
Is either of the above the best use of my opportunity, or would you do something completely different with your time?

I haven't been birding in FL since the 1960s, before I kept a life list, and just want a chance to see and photo some of your local specialties. I am a "budget birder", very conscious of costs (so don't tell me to hire a private guide for a few days.)

Any and all advice will be listened to, though it may generate more questions.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN