Thread: Flowing water in sepia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flowing water in sepia

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5DM2, 70-200@70, f13, 0.6s, ISO 160. PP - CS6: Nik RAW sharpen, SEP with sepia toning and #11 border, plus extra curves to give a bit more punch, and output sharpening with Photokit2.
    Not so much Out-of-the-Box as just looking for suggestions for better PP - what to do with the water. I like the composition in general, but the image does not make my eyes flow from point A to B. The image lacks a dominant point of interest, at least to me the one/s there need to be emphasized more, IMO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Douglas, I like the image, especially the sepia toning. Hopefully Andrew will chime in - he does wonderful waterfalls. To me the rock in the upper right corner seems too dark and I wish there were more room at the top so the waterfall and rock weren't clipped. Let's see what other people think
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Douglas, I love the water flow and I think that the processing works well for this image. Cheryl makes some good suggestions. Looking forward to more...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Denise,

Here's another from the same river that I like a bit better - sharper. With closer inspection, the other image looked like it had been blown up from a thumbnail. Not sure what caused that.
    This one might be just a touch too light. I added about 10pt of both contrast and brightness before printing and forgot to uncheck the adjustment before reducing to 800px. The 16x20 ver in both RGB and BWY looks pretty nice, IMA.

PP was similar to the previous water image, but I added a luminous mask to a curves layer to reduce the reflections on the rocks. I'm pretty sure I had a CP on for all of the images I took along the river, but the reflections in this image suggests otherwise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Douglas, I like this one much better. The flow is wonderful and I like the additional sharpness. Nice work
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Douglas, the second post is, I think, my favorite image from you to date...beautiful processing, the flow of the lines draws your eye through image, strong composition...nicely done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, All for your helpful CC of the first image and your kind words regarding the second.

i know that this is not a before/after thread, but I thought some might find it interesting to see the original capture. On the first time review of this group of images I had downgraded the second image because of the distracting branch in the right side of the image. But on second look, a 4x5 crop got rid of the branch and probably improved the composition. Taking a little off the bottom also helped. Making the large rock on the bottom of the image the foundation for the lower right side of the image also helped the composition. Funny how easy it is to overlook distracting elements and important features of a scene while looking through the viewfinder. I'm sure I was using Live View, so I guess I can't use the viewfinder excuse .

The attached post is default settings in Bridge.