Thread: Headed Home/Loving my 5D Mark III

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Headed Home/Loving my 5D Mark III

Attached Images Attached Images

It was super-windy every afternoon with gusts over 50mph on Sunday and Wednesday. This Western Gull was photographed with the tripod-mounted Canon 800mm f/5.6L S lens and the Canon EOS-5D Mark III. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6.

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

I fly to Orlando oh-dark hundred tomorrow.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow..really nice Gull, lovely exposure, open wings, no lost details in the whites, tack sharp...DOF is wild for 5.6. Where did you take this, Artie?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I win a million dollars I am going to buy myself an 800mm! That lens ( in your hands) is so sharp and clear. The whites are awesome against the dark blue rolling sea. I know the gull is riding down a wave but I would still do a bit of CW rotation. Really like the underwing detail of the near wing and am wondering if you have a shot with a full upward wing stretch?
    The head merge with the wing is a bit of a nit but because it contrasts so sharply against the wing you can get away with it.

Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great contrast of the deep blues and the white. I really like the deep stormy look to the water. I'm thinkin I feel the need for rotation as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Techs spot on ...I am not irked by the gulls position in any way ...all looks fine to me and a very pleasing image at that.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful shot. Excellent pose, whites exposed perfectly, love the waves, and great comp.
    Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lagasi View Post
    Wow..really nice Gull, lovely exposure, open wings, no lost details in the whites, tack sharp...DOF is wild for 5.6. Where did you take this, Artie?
    Thanks Paul. It was at a pond on Morro Strand Beach in Morro Bay, CA, George Lepp's old haunts. Hundreds of gulls bath there every afternoon. Along with a few large shorebirds on occasion.

ps: A picture is worth a thousand words!
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 04-05-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful depth of color and detail . I would not change a thing about this image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    When I win a million dollars I am going to buy myself an 800mm! That lens ( in your hands) is so sharp and clear. The whites are awesome against the dark blue rolling sea. I know the gull is riding down a wave but I would still do a bit of CW rotation. Really like the underwing detail of the near wing and am wondering if you have a shot with a full upward wing stretch? The head merge with the wing is a bit of a nit but because it contrasts so sharply against the wing you can get away with it. Gail
    No rotation for me. I photographed at this pond every afternoon for six days so I have tons of after bath flapping images, landing images, bathing image, running on the water images, and drinking while landing images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Scalzo View Post
    Wonderful depth of color and detail . I would not change a thing about this image.
    Thanks Grace. I agree. But I did move the bird forward a few inches in the frame using techniques from Robert O'Toole's APTATS II CD.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So I will re-phrase. I would not change a thing about this image, as presented. Great work with the edit, it looks flawless to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice Artie, too bad you didn't come up here for avocets.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I think the stormy sea is the best part here...loved the contrast. Terrific shot as always.

agree with Arash...Avocets at the Palo Alto Baylands are indeed awesome. Last year, in two evenings, I got many keepers with my modest gear. You would have had a blast there making head shots with the 800mm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. Avocets would have been nice. It was a stormy pond not a stormy sea!