Thread: How to go mouse-less?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default How to go mouse-less?

Hi,

I was reading an article today about how the computing world is already moving to touchscreens, multi-touch trackpads with gestures, more integration with iOS-like features, and how mice are already "old hat" and should become obsolete soon. Apple are well ahead on that front, and it sounds as though the next iteration of OS X (Mountain Lion) will be even more like that. Windows is also planning changes in the same direction. It seems to me that that's all well and good for many computing purposes, but how does one carefully outline a bird for selective sharpening, or a branch for cloning out, etc. etc. using finger gestures and no mouse?

Richard

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stern View Post
    Hi,

I was reading an article today about how the computing world is already moving to touchscreens, multi-touch trackpads with gestures, more integration with iOS-like features, and how mice are already "old hat" and should become obsolete soon. Apple are well ahead on that front, and it sounds as though the next iteration of OS X (Mountain Lion) will be even more like that. Windows is also planning changes in the same direction. It seems to me that that's all well and good for many computing purposes, but how does one carefully outline a bird for selective sharpening, or a branch for cloning out, etc. etc. using finger gestures and no mouse?

Richard
    You can't do it without the use of a mouse or tablet.
    They are basically talking about surfing the web and things of that sort nothing that requires precise input.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another issue I see is messy monitors. I've noticed that with my tablet, even clean hands make all sorts of smudges. Given we are trying to post proccess to the best image possible seems counter productive to have lunch smudged all over the screen . We need that thought control I guess.

Robert Amoruso

Two good points by Dick and Grant.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How timely; just today I decided to get serious about my Wacom and started viewing the Wacom video from Photoshop Cafe.

Also decided today, finally , to make the jump from PC to a MBP 17" for me and a 13" MBA for Jackie.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Home, Jay & Jackie. Yes really good points on screens and fine detail work. As rental screens increase it helps on the issue of fat fingers - gestures will let you get down to the pixel level and then - watch, we will be finger painting again. As to the screens, I hate the schmutz, especially when my son grabs my iPad after eating Cheetos, but my guess is someone will come up with a film or coating that repels finger oils. Given time, technology will solve most problems - even ones you did not know you had.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the ultimate, take a look at the Cintiq.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard- An world-class Dutch pro nature photographer I had the pleasure of travelling with just before Christmas told me the first thing he throws away with a new computer is the mouse. He's a Mac user and uses Wacom tablets to edit his images. He had a smaller travelling version with him at the time but I'm sure uses a larger version in his home studio. I am definitely looking at this as an option for future processing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You all may or may not know of Jack Davis: http://www.adventuresinphotoshop.com/. Jack is one of the foremost experts in Photoshop and Lightroom; he through OnOne software gives a way his WOW LR presets.

Well, additionally, Jack is a proponent of Wacom: http://www.powerofthepens.com/2007/jack-davis/
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.