Thread: Coot

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coot

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone. I have been wanting to capture one of these guys out of the water for a while now but have never had the oppertunity. Well that all changed the other day. I went to the local lake and real cloudy weather and I just by the lake hoping for somekind of sunlight. About 6 of these guys came out of the lake and started walking my way I had to wait for them to get for them to pass me cause they were to close for me to focus. The following pic is FF.
    C&C welcomed and encouraged.
    Camera - Nikon 300s, Lense - Nikon 300 F4, Exposure - 1/160, Aperture - F8, ISO - 250, Focal Length - 450mm, Metering - Multi Segment, Flash - On -2EV, Manual.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light is good. HA is great and the blacks look terrific. Good call on DOF. Nice BG as well. I have to say though, they are prettier in the water!!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert, you have nailed both the exposure and DOF in this. HA works well, and I would just darken the BG a touch.
    Last edited by Stu Bowie; 12-19-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert:

Subtle flash work (which is good), I like seeing it out of the water to show off those great feet.

Like the detail showing on the body.

In a perfect world, a bit more room below, but I know you don't have it. Pointing the camera a sliver more down might have helped. It is always a challenge when you are working so tight in the camera, and most of the time we are just happy to get all the parts in the frame!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very well exposed, nice and sharp and really nice pose. The setting is a little different from the usual scene. Good for you to get your shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat to see one on the ground like this...makes it look stockier than when in the water. I know its hard to think "digitally" in the spur of the moment, but it would have been easy to add canvas above had you pointed the lens down a bit.

Good exposure (grat job on the bill!!), and nice details as posted. Any reason you didn't push the ISO higher for more SS?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all very much for all your comments, they are much appreciated.

Daniel- I should have set my camera settings but since I did not see anything to shoot and never expected for these guys to pop up I simply forgot.
    Rookie mistake.