Thread: This Morning's Lunar Eclipse

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default This Morning's Lunar Eclipse

Attached Images Attached Images

The lunar eclipse of December 10, 2011 occurred with the moon just entering total eclipse as the Moon set over the Continental Divide of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. This image was obtained at 6:48 AM, 22 minutes before sunrise and 17 minutes before the beginning of totality.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 300 mm f/2.8 L IS lens. Exposure: f/6.3, ISO 100, two frame exposure high dynamic range: 1/10 and 1-second. Full frame image, no crop. Combined in photoshop, processing with curves, no noise reduction.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you Roger, this is a most beautiful landscape and phenomena... wish I understood more about this other world that you so exquisitely captured. The light , colors, and majesty is "Over the moon!" Ann

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One word....wonderful!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great color adds a lot to this excellent composition of a natural event.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific, Roger. It's beautiful.

I asked a friend in California who is into amateur astronomy whether he had seen the eclipse. Surprisingly, he said there was no way he was getting up that early!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I knew I could count on you Roger to get an image of the eclipse! Well done.

Brendan Dozier

Beautiful composition, Roger, and nicely executed. Great looking moon, colors, and the ribbon of clouds across the peaks is a nice touch and adds to the whole mood. Well done!

Roman Kurywczak

Love the colors and comp!

Robert Amoruso

Figured you be posting one of these Roger and I agree, exceptionally well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, it is exquisite!! How far from home did you travel to accomplish the capture?
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Roger, it is exquisite!! How far from home did you travel to accomplish the capture?
    Hi Jay,

Straight line distance was a little under 10 miles (15 km). It took about 15 minutes. In retrospect, I should have gotten up earlier and gone further, about a 45 minute drive where the atmosphere would have been steadier at 10,000 feet (I just didn't know how snowy the roads were that high). This image was made at 7700 feet elevation.

Roger

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well planned and executed Roger... Fabulous

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine work Roger! Very ethereal...
    I am curious about the magenta/purple hue...is that a natural phenomenon with eclipses? Or was it a specific look-and-feel you were after during capture/processing?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    Fine work Roger! Very ethereal...
    I am curious about the magenta/purple hue...is that a natural phenomenon with eclipses? Or was it a specific look-and-feel you were after during capture/processing?
    Hi Morkel,

I assume you mean on the moon itself. The light from the eclipsed moon is due to light transmitted and refracted through the Earth's atmosphere, and depending on the dust/smoke/haze in the atmosphere on a global scale the color changes from eclipse to eclipse or position (this eclipse was through the southern portion of the shadow, so biased by light transmitted through the Earth's southern hemisphere),and the color varies from gray-ish-red to orange, to red like a really red sunset. Then for this eclipse where I was, add blue from the brightening blue sky of twilight, giving the magenta cast on both the moon and on the snow on the mountains.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One fantastic shot Roger, love the colors!

Gary.