Thread: Ocean Gaurdian

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ocean Gaurdian

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image just off the coast near where I live. The South African Navy brings some of the older minesweepers here each year during winter to partake in an annual festival of sorts. I was not fortunate to be aboard while it crossed the notorious sand bars in the KNYSNA HEADS this year so I was looking for a unique POV of the landmark with a iconic visitor. The can only enter on a spring high tide and during daylight hours..........the light was soft and subdued with a slight haze from waves closer in. I shot in camera with custom BW setting and after downloading managed to recreate the setting and add LCE to this. Horizon is more or less straight using the coastline in between the headlands to judge as ocean swell was not so level :)Any comments and advice will be appreciated

Canon 1d MK 3 , ISO 400 , F8 , 1/800th , 24-105F4 L @ 32 mm Hand held from semi rigid inflatable

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great composition. The horizon is right where it should be, and the clouds make a great diagonal leading right to the minesweeper. Wonderful conversion to B&W, too. The clouds, the waves, and the wake all make this very dynamic. Nice job.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing composition and great contrasty B/W image. Well done! A little more of the diagonal of the "path" of the boat would have added even more to the compositional strength.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The clouds look great! A nice use of black and white.
    I think cropping some of the bottom just a bit below the boat would look good.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the tonal range, composition and detail clarity here, Andrew...
    Nicely done indeed.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Andrew, the tonal range is excellent. I thought about Jerry's recommendation as well as Dan's.....both were very good and for the future I would keep Jerry's in mind and probably go with Dan's recommendation. Makes a really nice anchor in the corner.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for taking the time to view and offer comments :) ....hope someday to get similar image but these vessels are getting a bit long in the tooth so visits are sporadic if at all :)

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, agree with above comments and suggestions to keep in mind for the next opportunity. Nice work on this one...love the B&W

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Andrew :)