Thread: Florida in mid December?? feathers, fur, or scales

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida in mid December?? feathers, fur, or scales

I am visiting Florida for 10 days in mid December. I'll be staying in Ocala, but am willing to drive to good photo sites. I know December is not prime bird season, but are there places where there is some good photo opportunities with a mid range zoom?? I have a good 70-200 zoom, and a mediocre zoom to 500. So I am looking for something that will be appropriate for that range.

I am really looking forward to this trip and hope to do a lot of photography. (it's been a bit bleak and brown here in my part of Michigan lately. )
    Feathers, fur, scales, landscapes---and and all---I'm desperate to photograph again.

Thanks!
    Cheryl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Since you are going to be in Ocala, one place I know you would enjoy the UF Butterfly Rainforest which is in Gainesville. It's not too far from Ocala, and your 70-200 would work great there although you would probably need an extension tube in order to get closer to the butterflies. You may also wish to try Paynes Prairie. I have never been there but understand there is a lot of wildlife there. I would research it if I were you. If you are willing to drive farther, I would highly recommend Fort Desoto Park. Maybe you could spend the night and spend 2 days there. You would probably need your 500 there, although a 70-200 is possible.

I am not too familiar with the Ocala area, and I hope another member will chime in to help you out with your locations. You may wish to check the internet for Florida Parks in that area b/c there are many parks which could lend themselves to good photography. If I come up with any other ideas between now and then, I will let you know. Please let me know if you have any other specific questions.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Marina!!
    I will check out those spots. Yes, I am willing to drive to Fort Desoto!
    Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!
    Cheryl

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm chiming in

I live in Citrus Springs, about 30 minutes southwest of Ocala. From where you will be, there are several possibilities depending on how far you want to drive. Homosassa Springs State Park is probably a little less than an hour drive from there. The critters are captive, but lots of opportunities. And several manatees. Merritt Island and Viera are within a reasonable driving distance (2 - 2 1/2 hours) and would give you great birding opportunities, though the shorter lens may be a problem. Of the two, probably Viera would work out better with your 70-200. Not far from Viera is the Cruickshank Sanctuary, which is wonderful for Scrub Jays. The Jays come in very close. Another possibility is St Augustine Alligator Farm, again about 2 hours away. There won't be nesting birds this time of year, but still some birding opportunities. Ft DeSoto, as Marina mentioned, is a great spot, and perhaps 2 1/2 hours or so from Ocala. If you do go, start really really early so you don't end up in Tampa traffic at rush hour (not fun.) The Butterfly Garden in Gainesville is a must see. Wonderful place! Paynes Prairie is also very nice but I don't know how much you'll see there in December. I haven't been there at that time of year.

I'm not sure when the whooping cranes will be flying in this year, but keep an eye out just in case it's when you're here (last year they didn't come in until early January, but generally it's in December.) It's definitely worth the short drive over to Dunnellon to see that. You can get updates on their progress at operationmigration.org

Have fun, and let me know if I can be of any help.

Maureen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Maureen, I will try to pm you with some further questions. Thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am happy to drive to those locations if the birds will be there. I know December is not prime time for birds. How likely is it that there will be birds at:
    Merritt Island
    Viera
    St.Augustine Alligator Farm
    Ft. DeSoto,

Thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just received a report that Viera is not busy at this time. For Viera & Merritt Island you really need the longer lens. Ft DeSoto there is always something to photograph at North Beach and East Beach has been pretty good too. You may consider calling the Alligator Farm to see what they have going on there at that time of year. CAll them just before coming down. There would be a lot of birds close to the boardwalk and perfect for your 70-200 but no nesting birds at that time I do not think.

Feel free to send me a PM or post just before your trip for an update!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Marina! I know this is not prime bird season, but it is the time that I can make it.
    Cheryl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As of last week Viera was very quiet. A few BBWD's flying in and out, and a few Sandhill Cranes flying in pairs, plus the usual Ibis and GBH sightings. I work in downtown St. Augustine and check out the Alligator Farm every now and then as I drive by. Lately there are plenty of night herons flying in and out, and they hang in the trees all day long for portraits. Lately in the mornings, they open at 9 am, Spoonbills are flying in. (I actually used to work there before college.) The herons will be there all winter. In Gainesville, about 30 min from Ocala, the Sandhill Cranes will be showing up in BIG numbers in December and January. Map SouthWest 23rd Street and Williston Road. At that intersection you can walk the fence line and get some good IF shots. Late afternoon is best as the sun will be setting behind you. It's also only 5 minutes to Payne's Prairie. With 200 mm you can get some good interaction shots since they're not far from the fence. Just don't THINK about jumping the fence...that's a risky move reserved for college kids looking for shrooms. My parents live about 1/4 mile from there and Mom keeps me posted as to the Cranes. A favorite thing this time of year is to hit the beach at low tide and shoot shore birds, ospreys, and whatever else flies by. The Matanzas Inlet area, about 15 minutes south of St. Augustine always has something.

I hope that's not too much info. Enjoy your visit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Robert!!!!
    Never too much info! :)

Cheryl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been to Merritt Island in last week of Nov and it was pretty quite..Lot of Coot and other duck were hanging around but were at a distance and even 700mm on 7D wasn't good enough...I did get some decent shots of Kingfisher but that's all... a painted bunting was seen at the feeder of information center if you visit Merritt island do check it..

Ding Darling was fun...lot of white/brown pelicans, spoonies, Ibises, egrets, Ospreys but not sure if you will be able to drive that far...

I did see some murhens, snail kites, wood storks and SHC in Kissimmee near lake Tohopokeliga.