Thread: Tree in snow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tree in snow

Attached Images Attached Images

Snow seems to stay away for a while, so here's one from last year. Temperatures have been so high here that all the ladybugs flew out again!
    This was taken in Southern Germany at Christmas. With over 1m of snow it was truly a winter wonderland! I liked the simplicity of the landscape all dressed in white. This tree was no exception. I hope I got the whites right. I've just switched to Windows 7 which has a viewer that makes a mess of the colors. It looked good in PS, but kind of reddish in the Windows viewer. It is meant to look kind of dark and bluish, it was an overcast day.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 61mm (370 mm eq), ISO-100, f/8, 1/160s, EC +1.
    ACR 6.3/CS5 Crop, WB, exposure, levels, sharpness (ACR and USM), added frameline.

Mods: feel free to move to Macro/Flora (I couldn't decide).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

great negative space. I have never have shot any snow scenes but this would be what i would attempt !!

3. Thanks Jerry van Dijk thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just my opinion: I am not sure I connect this one entirely. I think it may due to there being not much in the way of snow textures. The negative space does add to it, but I think there is some missing element I can't entirely put my finger on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simplicity presented; I like it. TFS.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry, simple ,but very effective. I like it very much. No snow over this way as of yet...I still have moths hanging out under the porch lights at night and another week of warmer than usual weather in the forecast.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for commenting!
    Chris, I can imagine this empty image isn't everyones cup of tea.
    Andrew, I'm amazed that these temperature anomalies appear to be worldwide.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry - I too like the simplicity of this.

TFS,
    Rachel

9. Thanks Jerry van Dijk thanked for this post
    Robert Amoruso

Without some sidelight, getting texture inthe snow will be difficult. As presented I feel this works very well. I would also try a version in B&W and in color with the blue cast removed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Robert, I was contemplating the blue cast already, but now will definately try to get rid of it. I tried B&W, but did not prefer it to the color version. It made the image even more flat.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great simplicity here Jerry
    I like the hint of colour but would also like to see this in B&W, perhaps with the contrast/structure adjusted to make the most of what detail there is in the snow...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all for commenting and helping me improve my image. Here's a version with the color cast fixed. I also applied a different way of sharpening (less in ACR, more in PS with USM). I tried various BW conversions, but kept getting back to the original version. With the new WB settings, there's hardly any difference between the color version and the default B/W conversion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works for me!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

15. Thanks Jerry van Dijk thanked for this post