Thread: Wanaka Lake, South Island, New Zealand

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wanaka Lake, South Island, New Zealand

Attached Images Attached Images

Our purpose in going to the Lake was to compose images around the lone tree in the Lake. Unfortunately, the tree was pretty bare - I am sure some of its leaves are in the foreground piles

I looked at the image with and without the tall trees on the LHS and it seemed to bare without them - what do you think?

Camera: 5D2
    Capture date/time: 3 May 11; 6:06AM
    Light condition: sunrise
    Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
    Focal length:35mm
    Distance:
    Extender: none
    Tube: none
    Flash/Comp:
    ISO: 100
    Exp Prog: Av
    Speed: 4 sec
    Aperture: f/18
    Exp Comp: none
    Metering: Evaluative
    WB: Auto
    AF Drive: One-shot AF
    Tripod: yes
    Filter: SR GNDs and RGNDs
    Crop: approx 1/3
    Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik viveza and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay

You cetainly love the colour, but I find the blue just a little too dominant in this image. I also think the subject tree in the lake is a little overshadowed by the land based tree and also a little too small in the frame given your brief/intention. I would have stepped forward a few paces to put the land based tree out of frame and the focus more on the lake tree. The clouds also have a blue tinge, I would prefer more usual black & grey/white with enhanced contrast.

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, I think your comments are well taken. I am going to consider going to a pano and eliminating most of the foreground cropping up to the waterline on the RHS. RP to be done!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look forward to it...

DON

Robert Amoruso

Jay,

I concur with Don's assessment on all accounts. The blur color cast is too dominate and appears unnatural. I tried a crop w/o the left trees and less FG and liked it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

a great scene with some great advice :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

nice depth here Jay
    here is a repost where I toned down the magenta, cyan and blue...I didn't want to remove it entirely, but just tone it down as it was looking a bit unnatural
    I also added a hint of LCE...

WDYT?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel. I am working along those lines too on the RP and also adding a bit of green to the mountains to get closer to brown (blue and green in the right combination = brown). The foreground is a bit too sharpened for me. I similarly did a sharpening of the whole image and then masked out the foreground to the pre-sharpened level. Of course there was already one round of sharpening on the foreground from the capture sharpening.
    Cheers, Jay

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, a little late to the party, but I agree with the above comments. I look forward to your repost. I would crop the trees on the left out if it were mine. The tree in the water is a great subject with lots if possibilities and I love the duck on the right.