Thread: Canon EOS-1D X Digital Camera Body Details

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unless I wind up selling the 800, I would have to classify this info from Canon USA's top tech rep Chuck Westfall as bad news (just received via e-mail):

"AF is unavailable on the EOS-1D X if the maximum aperture reported to the camera through the electronic lens mount is smaller than f/5.6. This is a lower specification than previous EOS-1 series DSLRs. On the plus side, consider the fact that with most f/4 lenses including the 400 DO, 500/4L IS and IS II, and 600/4L IS and IS II, you now have 41 cross-type AF points plus color and face detection, whereas you had no cross-type points and no color or face detection during AF with previous EOS-1 series DSLRs using the same lenses, not to mention a significantly wider AF coverage area from left to right."
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm really surprised that they abandoned AF at f/8. That really limits the utility of the new 2x with most of the super-telephoto lenses, and the 800mm f/5.6 with any TC. I wonder why they decided to do it.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug, I agree. With a full frame camera TCs are vital. Being unable to use the 2X III TC on any of the f/4 super-telephotos (new or old) and being unable to use the 1.4XIII TC on the 800 is just brutal.... Not so bad for sports folks who do not have as great a need for TCs as wildlife folks and especially bird photographers.... Sometimes is baffles me when new gear is introduced as a total surprise....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Unless I wind up selling the 800,...
    Canon made your 800 obsolete by disabling f/8 AF, the new 600 is now the longest lens plus the 1.4. I would sell today!!!

looks like a simple 600 + 1DX rig will now sum up to 20 grand, hand holding it will be more fun for sure!
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Canon made your 800 obsolete by disabling f/8 AF, the new 600 is now the longest lens plus the 1.4. I would sell today!!!

looks like a simple 600 + 1DX rig will now sum up to 20 grand, hand holding it will be more fun for sure!
    We can also buy a good car and a good pair of binoculars to watch wild life
    Last edited by Humberto Ramos; 10-18-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto Ramos View Post
    We can also buy a good car and a good binocular to watch wild life
    Not in the US, 20 grand will not buy you a "good" car that can actually go to places with wildlife...But it will but you a dozen of darned good binoculars.

Occupy Canon!
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

... 20 grand will not buy you a "good" car that can actually go to places with wildlife...
    My wildlife car is a 1994 pickup truck, net original cost about zero. Regular maintenance & repairs as recommended by a good mechanic cost me about $1,000 annually, leaves more $$$ for photo equipment and travel. Safe, comfortable, reliable, unfortunately has no MP3 player.

The AF system suggests the 1D-X wasn't designed with birder input.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herr View Post
    My wildlife car is a 1994 pickup truck, net original cost about zero. Regular maintenance & repairs as recommended by a good mechanic cost me about $1,000 annually, leaves more $$$ for photo equipment and travel. Safe, comfortable, reliable, unfortunately has no MP3 player.

The AF system suggests the 1D-X wasn't designed with birder input.
    What's the millage like and how much you pay for gas ;)

As a flight photographer I never use a 2X TC so for me the 1DX might indeed have the perfect AF system.

I don't think Canon deliberately drop the f/8 AF to annoy their customers.

The phase detecting AF becomes more difficult at smaller apertures, not because there is less light but due to the angle distribution of incident light. At f/8 the angle distribution is too narrow for precision phase-detect. 1DX uses new AF sensors and the split signal at f/8 is probably below its angular detection threshold.

see here for more info http://dougkerr.net/pumpkin/articles/Split_Prism.pdf

You can still use contrast detect AF in LV mode even at f/8.

We have to wait and see how the new AF system performs in the field.

FYI, Nikon also officially support AF at f/5.6 only, but they do not "disable" it at smaller apertures, they just don't guarantee reliable operation. I think Canon was paranoid with giving you something they were not fully confident in and having people complain to them later.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 10-18-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What's the millage like and how much you pay for gas ;)
    18 MPG with full camping/photography load, $3.58/gallon

You can still use contrast detect AF in LV mode even at f/8.

We have to wait and see how the new AF system performs in the field.

FYI, Nikon also officially support AF at f/5.6 only, but they do not "disable" it at smaller apertures, they just don't guarantee reliable operation. I think Canon was paranoid with giving you something they were not fully confident in and having people complain to them later.
    Yup, best to see how it actually works, a few months from now.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The phase detecting AF becomes more difficult at smaller apertures, not because there is less light but due to the angle distribution of incident light. At f/8 the angle distribution is too narrow for precision phase-detect. 1DX uses new AF sensors and the split signal at f/8 is probably below its angular detection threshold.
    But Canon has demonstrated for years they have the technology to do excellent AF at f/8.

Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Occupy Canon!
    Good one, Arash! Occupy Nikon too, while we're at it!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bare 800mm

I personally would rather have my bare 800mm than a 600mm(840mm) with a 1.4tc . I will have to see for myself to believe that the focus speed and IQ is as good as the 800.
    I do plan to sell my old 500 and get the new one because of the lower weight advantage though.
    Larry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Handal View Post
    I personally would rather have my bare 800mm than a 600mm(840mm) with a 1.4tc . I will have to see for myself to believe that the focus speed and IQ is as good as the 800.
    I do plan to sell my old 500 and get the new one because of the lower weight advantage though. Larry
    800 and new 500 is a great combo. But for folks who can own only one big lens the 600 is likely a better way to go.