Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pelkey View Post
Your telephoto reach article linked above, Roger, is very informative. Much fun.

The 5dm2 appears to produce the best color compared to the other cameras represented. The 7d offers very impressive detail.

Perhaps in a future update to the article you can note the rotations made, for illustrative purposes, to your images..
Hi Bob,

Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean by the rotations I made.

Related to this article, I'll have a new one (Telephoto reach Part II) I'm putting the finishing touches on. One of the bottom lines is that if one has a camera with 1.4x larger pixels than a second camera, and one uses a 1.4x TC on the camera with larger pixels, then at best the images from the two cameras would be equal in terms of detail, depth of field and noise. But let's say one has a 500 f/4. On the large pixel camera, one has 500 +1.4x = 700 f/5.6. Versus 500 f/4 on the smaller sized pixel camera. The camera with small pixels then operates at lower f/ratio so does better with AF (e.g. faster AF), yet maintains the detail and same signal-to-niose ratio in each pixel, and has the same depth of field. The camera with smaller pixels wins. Imagine a 1D5 1.3x crop camera with 7D sized pixels: 30 megapixels. If the AF system and frame rate was like the 1DIV, it would be the new ultimate wildlife tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pelkey View Post
Certainly never in our lifetimes will we have the ability to identify one of the lunar landers in a pixel.

I too was anticipating 30+ megapixels in the next flagship camera from Canon. Very disappointing news.

It is certainly on the drawing board, however.
It will come. Perhaps Nikon will lead the way and spur competition.

Roger