Thread: Feather care

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Feather care

Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, this is an image from my beginning of bird photography (so nearly a year old ;-), and browsing today - I found I am still attracted to it, though there are some obvious problems.

"Nowadays", I find the background too undecided, and the eye not prominent enough, sinking into the blacks. But I do like the curves here, the fluffy white foreground and the position of the eye right in the center.

I still find the RAW development of this rather high-key subject to be extremely difficult, and am not really satisfied with what I can do even today.

I do like a square crop on this one, cropping only from the right, but for the sake of this forum wanted to show the whole canvas.

Technical info:
    D70 - Manual exposure with f/5 1/500, ISO 400, hand held. Fill flash with -2 EV from the little build-in flash, as the light is really coming from the left behind the bird.
    Sigma 70-210 lens at 210. (Phew, do I *like* the Tokina 300/f4 I bought used shortly after this photo was made).

Any comments welcome - maybe also similar example images?
    Christof

George DeCamp

Hi Christof!

That is a pretty image, I like the light soft colors also! I think maybe you are on to something with the crop you suggested. Perhaps a vertical crop right up to the head may work or at least worth a look? Maybe a little to the right of the head also but I do think too much space on the right. These birds can really look elegant can't they!!

Robert Amoruso

Christof, I agree with your crop suggestion. A square crop would work good here. I like the details and tonal separation in the whites - nice job there. Missing the eye does bother me and I would have preferred to see it.

Judd Patterson

Looking back on our own "old" images can be an extremely rewarding exercise. You've obviously come a long way to be able to self-critique as you have...great suggestions, Christof! I think a square crop could work quite nicely as the right side doesn't add much to the power of this image. As you noted, the obscured eye is a large weakness here, but next time you are photographing swans, I'm pretty sure I know what your aim will be. ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To simplify things, a famous bird photographer often writes and says that for an image of a preening bird to be successful, the face must be parallel to the imaging sensor (the back of the camera), and the eye must be clearly visible

Follow those simple guidelines and your images of preening birds will improve dramtically.
    later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everybody for the comments! I am looking forward for the next possibility to go out there and try to put them into action :-)
    Christof