Thread: Bug

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bug

Attached Images Attached Images

I found this shy little bug nymph (Order Hemiptera, suborder Heteroptera) on a Black-eyed Susan flower. This may be one of the stink bugs - possibly Coenus spp. 5D II, MP-E 65 mm, 1/125, f/16, ISO 320, MT24-EX macro twin flash (diffused), HH. Some of the yellows were blown in the RAW file - I think they a mostly under control in this version. I ran nr on the OOF areas of the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward

I'm certainly no expert on bugs (Ken can attest to that!) but I'd vote for stink bug, too. Normally, I'd say the center of the flower is too dark but I think in this case it works, Steve. It really anchors the image but doesn't detract from the great focus of the bug itself. Crop-wise, I'd take a slice off the bottom and a bit off the left side.

The details on the insect are amazing - as always!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve... splendid capture... agree with ID... love all the colours in this image... your yellows look fine to me... exposure and detail on the bug is EXCELLENT... I agree with Julie on the comp... it would make more impact for the bug... otherwise fine image... WD!

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice image Steve,good detail in the bug,and the flower for the BG,sets this image off.thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice image, and I agree with the earlier comment RE taking a sliver off of the bottom of the composition. Great detail on the head of the bug...good use of your DOF through the image. Nicely done!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Steve,
    I love the light and stinkbug! Can't believe you made even that look good!!! I'm going to go against the crowd here and recommend a crop off the top.....about 1/2 way through the petal. Why? That makes the center a more pleasing shape and makes the stinkbug look likes he's coming out of the corner on a diagonal. Browser crop to see. Just another option but an easy tweak to a fantastic image that is not only sharp where it needs it.....but very well lit too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments, folks - and I like the cropping suggestions - they will make some interesting alternate comps.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice "in the face" pose. I like your composition and the sharpness on the bug. Nice contrast to the flower.