Thread: Silhouette

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Silhouette

Attached Images Attached Images

While photographing hummingbirds I kept seeing one land on the fruit branch of a palm tree and tried to get a shot such as this. Silhouette done in camera, mainly by using a 1/5000 shutter speed. Several fruit branches were removed in post and I've tried several different crops but keep coming back to this one.
    Hope this image fits OOTB.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fred, This fits perfectly in OOTB. I like the silhouette and great OOTB thinking at the time of capture. My personal preference would be for more room on top and less on the bottom. Some would like the image defined with a small black pixel border-I do not, I think it tends to box in the image. I see some artifacts in the background I would clean up if it were mine. Nicely seen.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Fred, This fits perfectly in OOTB. I like the silhouette and great OOTB thinking at the time of capture. My personal preference would be for more room on top and less on the bottom. Some would like the image defined with a small black pixel border-I do not, I think it tends to box in the image. I see some artifacts in the background I would clean up if it were mine. Nicely seen.
    Thanks Denise, I've done a version with your suggestions and once I look around to determine the re-post time I'll show you. I agree on the black border, as I generally don't like them. As far as the artifacts in the background I don't know whether to thank you or cry. My monitor went out and I'm using a backup that I thought was setup correctly, but I see no artifacts on it so I think I have a problem. Either way, it was pretty simple to go over the image and remove them even if I'm not seeing them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fred,
    You are always permitted to post a repost in this same thread if you like. Just scroll down to where it says manage attachments and add it. Also check out Artie's monitor calibration strip tutorial post-I find it very helpful when using different monitors or a laptop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Fred,
    You are always permitted to post a repost in this same thread if you like. Just scroll down to where it says manage attachments and add it. Also check out Artie's monitor calibration strip tutorial post-I find it very helpful when using different monitors or a laptop.
    Denise, the calibration strip helped a lot, i was looking at it and thought I was correct after calibrating, but after playing with the brightness/contrast I see I was missing seeing a couple of sections. Now I see the artifacts, you've made me a happy man this morning, thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's the repost.

Forum Participant Michael Zajac's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fred, I don't see anymore stuff in the background but I did see it before. I would bring the bird up higher in the frame. somewhere in between your two posts.

Brendan Dozier

Great looking silhouette, Fred, nicely seen and good camera work. Makes for an interesting design & composition. I agree with Michael, that somewhere in between may be the best placement. Well done!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Fred,
    Very graphic and I agree that somehwere in between the 2 posts will work best. I like the boldness of it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fred, Nice job with the artifacts! I would move the bird as Michael suggested somewhere in between.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work..good suggestions above...good cleanup and repost...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fred, this is a great silhouette and composition. The clean up looks good and I agree about an in between crop. Nicely done
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Micheal and the gang are correct about re-cropping. Just leave about twice a much room above the bird than below :).

BTW, I love the concept. What species?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job thinking outside the box, Fred! I like the composition and silhouette. Agree on re-cropping. Well done!
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely silhouette and very nice pose of the hummer. Nice work Fred!

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fred, agree with the above comments. Very nicely done and creative too!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, it's obviously been a chore for me to get the placement of the bird correct. I've had it all over the frame, but will settle for everyone's recommendation.
    Artie, it's a Green-throated Carib hummingbird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the species Fred. We look forward to seeing a final pleasing crop :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks for the species Fred. We look forward to seeing a final pleasing crop :)
    Artie, I don't know if it's pleasing or not but here it is. Honestly it's been a pain to get this where I like the placement. I do it one way, leave it and come back later and don't like it all and change it again. I think I'll leave cropped as is, unless someone wants to crop it for me. The perch itself is what is causing me to be always changing it, at this point I'm ready to bin the dang thing and forget about it. But, I'll leave it for a few weeks and look again later to see how what I think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fred, This one is a bit tight on three sides but works very nicely for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fred, the silhouette shows off the shape of the HB nicely. I would maybe add a bit more space, bottom, left and top.