Thread: Black Redstart

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Redstart

Attached Images Attached Images

An image from my recent trip to Extremedura, Spain. Photographed from above, cropped, selectively sharpened. Whites darkened and darks lightened slightly. Noise reduction applied to bg. Comments on the pose, or anything else, welcome.

D7000, 300 f/4 AF-S + 1.4TC, hand-held, 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO320.

Thanks,

Richard

Ofer Levy

Setting is lovely and this bird is stunning. However, IQ is not great due to what looks like a significant crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pose, background exposure, all look great. I find that the beak is out of the plane of main focus. Maybe some extra sharpening to the beak would help.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 06-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A new bird for me. I like the perspective. Not sure if the darks of the head are funky as I do not know this species.

Did you add the eye highlight?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi,

I didn't really touch the darks on the head, and the paler patch is real. And yes, I added the eye highlight - hope it looks OK!

Thanks,

Richard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Richard for the head info. If I knew that you added it then it did not look natural. And I knew. :). That's why I asked. \

Best to work very large and use a tiny brush when creating them....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi again,

I did work large, and used a soft-edged brush at 2 pixels, a single dab and white as the color. I seem to remember a tutorial somewhere in the forum on adding eye highlights - any further info. would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Richard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd go with a 1 pixel brush at at least 50% hardness. The trick is that natural highlights are always jagged never round. Get in the habit of studying the natural highlights at high magnification so that you get to know the shapes....

Check out the highlight that I added on my recent Piping Plover chick post....

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, nice bird and BG. agree that IQ could have been bigger. If this is a large crop, then you might want to do less cropping....if your BG is so nice, it should look good with the bird a bit smaller in the frame.

Yes, to reworking the catchlight. With the sun angle that you have, the position of the catchlight does not look appropriate. It'd have to be a little higher and to the right.