Thread: garden green finch

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default garden green finch

These littles fellows like to come down to my peanut feeder on a daily basis, although they're more shy than my other visitors. A makeshift garden hide that was enough for the other birds still seemed to scare these guys off, so I tried some remote camera work.

Nikon D90
    Sigma 120-400
    1/400th
    f11 (aiming for a little extra DOF since I manually prefocussed on the perch)
    iso800
    radio-remote from inside my house

I added some canvas on the right to balance the composition. I wasn't totally happy with sharpness in the original but I think it's come up ok for web presentation. All comments welcome!

Geoff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoff, I think the sharpness and color of the bird looks good but I think I would crop from the left

to the shadow on the perch. Nice yellows.

Jack

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoff, nice work with the remote setup and I'm sure you got some other good captures! The harsh light here makes for a contrasty image, but you handled the exposure well under the circumstances. I agree that the perch is just too much of the image. I feel that it takes the eye away from the bird and I would crop as Jack suggests.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thank you both, I will admit that I thought about cropping the loop of perch off from the left, but ended up leaving it in for two reasons - avoiding too large a crop in case IQ suffered, and because I chose the perch to be somewhat interesting. I can see that it could be distracting too though.